I just moved out of a 4bd apartment. Two of my roommates had dogs. The complex is charging me with the hair in the common room?

Common living room* because I stepped in it

Favorite Answer

You are all equally liable. They shouldn't be charging one of you over another. They should be sending the same bill to everyone. All the roommates need to work it out as to how much it paid by each party. If nobody pays, then you all get taken to court. If you think you paid more than you should have, then you can take your roommates to court.

you are jointly responsible for any damage because you signed the lease. You agreed to pay for any damages, it doesnt matter if it is from you, a roommate, or even a guest

I apologize, I thought I was filling out the description box at first. Individual leases for the entire unit. Two of the renters had to fill out Pet Addendums. During the security deposit phase, they charge the common areas to all tenants. However, the only reasoning for them to clean the common area was due to piss stains and hair from the pets.

Vacuum it up then.

Joint and several...read that section of the lease.

If you have a roommate agreement and it addressed the damages caused by the pets...then you might have some recourse there. Otherwise, plan to pay up.

The complex is able to charge one, or all of you for the hair found in the rental unit, even if you did not own one of the dogs. If you are charged and required to pay for the damage or cleaning of the rental unit, you would be required to sue your former roommates, for there share of th e damage or cleaning fee you were required to pay.

I hope this has been of some benefit to you, good luck.

"FIGHT ON"

One lease, or individual leases? One lease for all of you, then the cost comes out of the security deposit at large.

Not a question, but yes, they can charge you the cleaning fees.

Even if all of you were on the lease, you are probably "jointly and severally responsible". which means any or all of you.