Hello I am Marine vet. And i saw sometime recently a Marine wearing the dress blue Alphas while around a bar.?

My question: this Marine was a E4 Corporal. He had a stack of medals but i noticed he didnt have a national defense medal. Or a GWOT as a Cpl. Are Marines out of boot camp not getting these anymore out if bootcamp or is this guy a poser?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • RICK
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

First, Marines have never gotten a ribbon for graduating boot camp

Second, The national defense ribbon is not an individual award and according to both Navy and Marine Corps only personal awards are required to be worn

• 3 years ago

I would say he was a poser. The National Defense has been an automatic award for over a decade. An E4 would definitely have one.

• 3 years ago

Sounds like a wanna be.

• 3 years ago

If you were a retired Marine, you would know they don't get ANY medal merely for graduating from Basic Training.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Daniel
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

Everyone gets the NDSM for service after 9/11.

Pretty much everyone qualifies for the GWOT-S medal as well (note that there are two GWOT medals), especially if he's been around long enough to collect other medals (which the Marines hand out very sparingly).

So, he probably was faking it.

• 3 years ago

How old is the person in question?

09/11/2001 to present qualifies anyone in the military (even Reserves and National Guard) for the National Defense Service Medal, so he should have been wearing it unless he only served during one of the non-eligible periods.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Defense_Ser...

I don't see how a Marine could get a "stack of medals" serving only during a non-eligible period.

The GWOT is only issued to personnel who were deployed overseas in direct support of the war on terror since 09/11/2001 so it is possible for someone currently in the military to not have received it. Again, it seems unlikely someone who was in the military after 09/11 could have a stack of medals without getting the GWOT.

Posers normally get the details wrong because they never lived it. It seems to be worse when they impersonate a Marine because they confuse Army and Marine practices or uniform parts. That includes things like someone impersonating a Navy or Marine service member and wearing a Distinguished Service Cross instead of the Navy Cross.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.