Broken PC? Please help?

I booted up my windows 10 hp laptop to a black screen today. I left it on while I went to ge lunch. When I came back it’s at this screen “Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete.” with the little wheel circling around infinitely. I’ve been waiting for 4 hours, what do I do? I can’t afford a new computer :(

It says to not turn it off? Well just turn it off, spam the space key and you’ll be good to go

• Andy T

Just a new hard drive; not entire computer. So no worries there, I doubt you know how to operate the special utilities mentioned. It does its magic in proprietary way under consumer-grade storage bussing. Busing? Busism? Busist? Bu...?

Enterprise-grade that's SCSI and SAS, that's more standardized to circuitry. But either case it takes very long time. But what I did was simply isolate and ignore. And either way, reinstall is called for, it would be nothing to someone well-backupped or had not a byte of data to lose.

you need to use a disk diagnostics software to correct the disk sector faults properly. HP's usually come with a Diagnostics CD(which you may need to burn) since you did not tell us the make/model/specific model number/variation we cannot help you further. *** note built in windows disk repairs are POOR and may cause many hours of wasted time. You must also prepare yourself for a Faulty user login, and you may need to create a new user and copy across user files once the disk is corrected. In some cases the diagnostics can or may need to erase the disk. you can safely boot a Hiren's 15.2 to miniXP to transfer off any precious files to usb/external disk. If the HP diags does not offer sector repair then you can use Seagate SEATools or HitachiDFT to fix the sectors.

....be patient. It takes a long time.

• David

Leave it run. If no better then you will need to force a shutdown by holding down the power button. You can then start up again and see what happens, if no better you will need to take it to a tech, probably for a new hard drive.

ANY time you have an issue w/Microsoft, it's best to go to their website where you will almost always get the correct answer !!

try this - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/... has many others w/the same problem + solutions

You leave it turned on and running off mains power. Disk errors can take hours, if not days to repair completely.

If it fails - just buy a new hard-drive and restore your files from the backups that you've been taking.