Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 3 years ago

Would getting help with depression hinder in a child custody court case?

I was wondering if I was to seek out help for depression, therapy or medication, would this look bad on me in the eyes of the court if I were taken to court for custody of my children.

I have full custody now, but my ex keeps threatening to take me to court.

• ricky

Unfortunately it might. Talk to whoever your wanting to get help from, and see if you can keep it out of public record. Try to get past the court first if possible.

It won't hurt your case at all. It might help your case. It shows that you can get help when you need it.

Not as bad as you being so depressed and all you don't do squat for them and leave them to their own devices since you are too down in the dumps to get out of bed.

He knows that it could not be a healthy environment for mommy not to be able to drag her butt out of bed and take proper care of herself much less her CHILDREN. He probably is a much more fit parent if you feel as if you have to get therapy and meds to deal with depression.

• d00ney

This is what solicitors and attorneys are for. Everyone has good points and bad points. The perfect parent just doesn't exist. The court looks out for the child's best interest. What is better, suffering from depression and not seeking help, or suffering from depression and seeking help.

I would advise you to go to Citizen's Advice. If you are not looking after yourself, how can you look after your children especially as you do not have the support of a partner?