How do I narrow down a thesis statement?

So, I submitted an essay in to my teacher and the topic we were assigned was to find similarities between Hamlet from Hamlet and Willy Loman from The Death of a Salesman. My thesis statement was: Though these two plays take place at different time periods, there are undeniable similarities between their two main... show more So, I submitted an essay in to my teacher and the topic we were assigned was to find similarities between Hamlet from Hamlet and Willy Loman from The Death of a Salesman.

My thesis statement was: Though these two plays take place at different time periods, there are undeniable similarities between their two main characters that ultimately define them as the tragic heroes of their stories.

My teacher commented that it was too vague and when I asked her how I could improve it, she told me to leave her alone lol.

And now I am here on Yahoo Answers asking you guys to do the job that she doesn't want to do! I apologize on her behalf.

Thanks for taking the time to answer! :)))