Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 3 years ago

Helping your parents financially question to all!?

If I am a fresh out of Masters program graduate and i move out on my own and make my own money. Is there a financial responsibility to help your parents out financially if they don't ask you for money? For example, I'm 26 and my parents make 30k for 2 people, i make 65k.........Is there a rule where i have to financially help them out?

There is no rule but love for your parents should mean you do whatever it takes to help them

What.mmm yes

just help them out as much as you can, thats all you can do

• Jay R

My mother said that she worked three jobs in order to pay her mortgage and that none of her kids helped her. She had said nothing about struggling to pay her mortgage, so no one knew that she needed help. My mother enjoyed playing the victim and would never have let on that she needed money. Hopefully, your parents will be candid with you if/when they need financial help. As for a rule about aiding one's parents, there's only the rule of love.

What about helping your parents financially ? You didn't give any other information.

No, there is no rule. If they need help, you can help them. Some people have a hard time making ends meet. If they need food, buy groceries. Do nice things for them sometimes. Many people help others. Some donate food, pay for someone's groceries, mentor a troubled child, etc.     

• k w

if one can.......

There is no rule that says you have to

However should you do something nice for your parents to say thank you or all the help & support, it would be a very nice thing to do

• y

A rule? Nope, but think about it. Would you have been able to do what you did without them? Would they have been able to do more for themselves if they hadn't given to you?

We used to take care of our family, our parents, our elders. Now the trend is to stick them in some hole in the wall and forget about them. Those in the 50 to 65 age range now were the ones hardest hit by the 01 and the 08. Millions lost everything, retirement, homes, jobs, ect... All they had was diverted to their kids, who tend to live at home and use those limited resources until a much older age now. We are facing an entire generation that will be retiring over the next two decades, that have nothing to retire on.

Not at all. If they are not asking for help, they are probably fine.

No harm in helping out if you feel like it though, but you are not obligated

I know I would if I were able.