How long does my landlord have to fix my ac? Where can I find that law/ statute? Thank you.?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 years ago

They can buy you window ACs instead. It does not have to be central air.

• 2 years ago

Friend your landlord can delay and delay and delay as long as they want to there is no statute on how long they have to fix it unless you have a written lease that specifies that the landlord will maintain what the property came with. And if they fail to do so then you withhold rent and I mean all rent until they do fix it they might try to issue an eviction notice in which case you contest it with the court you have to file an eviction notice with the Magistrate Court really that's what you want to happen because if they do try to evict you and you tell them that you're withholding rent for their failure to maintain as per the contract then you can ask the judge for damages. Your honor they promised here in writing to maintain the property and they did not do so I had to withhold rent and come to court and miss work and being misery in the home with no climate control I ask that you decide what that's worth.

• 2 years ago

IF he is required to repair it, he has as long as it takes. Laws do not dictate time on such a thing because if parts are needed, it is out of his control. It may take a month or more to obtain a part and it could take a few months on a very old unit. The older the unit, the harder the parts are to find. He should try and repair it within a reasonable period of time but it cannot always be done.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • R P
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Google the landlord/tenant laws for your state as the laws are different. Keep in mind that AC is only a legal necessity in VA and certain parts of AZ.

In other states (with at least one exception), since AC is not a legal necessity, the landlord only has to repair or replace the unit if it is included in the lease. The exception that I am aware of is FL - the landlord does not have to repair the unit at all if he chooses not to do so.

Source(s): FL landlord
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

No such law. AC is not a necessity

• LILL
      Lv 7
      2 years agoReport

Too bad that no state has a “maximum” temperature law.

• 2 years ago

If he is required to fix the A/C then he has a reasonable time. More than 2-3 weeks would be unreasonable. Don't withhold rent as that could be grounds for eviction. Generally if repairs aren't made you must take the landlord to court for a breach of the lease.

• Jack
      Lv 6
      2 years agoReport

There are very specific procedures and dollar limits to "tenant self help" - - - and I've NEVER seen a tenant do it right.

• 2 years ago

AC is not a requirement for habitability, unlike heat, electricity and hot water. AC is considered an amenity. That said, a landlord can be required to repair or replace as necessary. If the property was leased to you with central air conditioning or window units and the rental agreement does not specifically exclude them from landlord responsibility, the landlord is responsible. However, a rental agreement may exclude AC, and no state law will override that if it's in the contract.

If AC is the landlord's responsibility, good luck fining a written statute for the required time to make repairs, with 50 states and many, many more local jurisdictions within states. It is generally considered that landlords must make requested repairs within a 'reasonable' period of time. What is reasonable? That's up to the individual jurisdiction and in the end, when someone has to decide what's reasonable, it's a judge in a legal proceeding.

I found one reference to California, and it is not official state law, it's from a San Francisco newspaper, that says 14 days to one month is 'reasonable' for a landlord to make repairs after they have been notified in writing. You always make notification in writing, keeping copies and getting proof of delivery. This paper suggests the 'repair and deduct' remedy - fix it yourself and deduct the cost from rent - but this is something that may not work in every jurisdiction. How to force a landlord to make repairs and what you can legally do if they don't are covered somewhere in state and local landlord-tenant law, but that's up to you to research.

• 2 years ago

There is only one state, I know of that have enacted laws that require an A/C to be installed and maintained in each rental unit. That state is Arizona, based on the heat index of that state.

Most other states do not get into the business of telling a landlord what they are required to have in a rental unit or when a repair is required. You are looking for a law that would require your landlord to repair your A/C. As a long time landlord, you would not find such a law in your state.

Lease agreements would not and do not cover each situation that might come up in your staying in a rental.

Your air conditioner might be as a convenience to you. If this is the case, your landlord might not be required to repair or replace the air conditioner.

You might want to contact the local landlord/tenant agency. This group would be aware of any law that would require a landlord to repair an A/C. This agency would normally offer you information at no cost to you. You would have to google for this agency followed by the city and state in which you reside.

You might also contact the local legal aid society. This group of lawyers would offer legal information and advice to you. In some instances you might be required to pay based on your monthly income. You would have to google for this agency the same as the landlord/tenant agency.

I hope this has been of some benefit to you, good luck.

"FIGHT ON"

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

so far, all incorrect answers !!

look online for the tenant/landlord laws for the State you live in

Source(s): former apt mgr
  • 2 years ago

ac is not required of landlords to provide. I lived in an apartment that only had heat and no AC once. Look at the lease agreement you signed and make sure it mentions that the landlord is responsible for providing AC in your unit. Not having AC in a property that you rent to someone is not a crime; But if the landlord is contractually obligated to provide and they don't it is a breach of contract. Your lease entails everything you should expect from the landlord as part of your agreement to pay the rent.

• SimplytheFACTS
      Lv 7
      2 years agoReport

LL does not need to list AC, just evidence it was provided by the LL..leases never entail EVERY thing...that would be a100 pages long

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.