How would you native speakers judge these two sentences?

Hi! As I was studying linguistics, I came across a few sentences that I would like you native English speakers to judge the difference. Say you are sitting in the audience, and the speaker, without any previous context, starts out by asking all in the auditorium: a. Who likes his mother? b. Who liked his... show more Hi! As I was studying linguistics, I came across a few sentences that I would like you native English speakers to judge the difference.

Say you are sitting in the audience, and the speaker, without any previous context, starts out by asking all in the auditorium:
a. Who likes his mother?
b. Who liked his mother?

Which of those two sentences is more likely to be recognized to mean, "who is the person who likes ONE'S OWN MOTHER?" and NOT "who is the person who likes HIS (somebody else's; for example Alex's) MOTHER?"

It would be a great help if you could tell me a brief reason for choosing either as well.

Thanks for your precious time!