Are laryngectomies and skin grafts dangerous surgeries?

My dad has to have a total laryngectony with the removal of his cancerous tumor this week. They are taking skin from his arm and putting it in his throat and removing his voice box, so really that is all I know. I myself had a bad, life threatening experience with a very minor arm surgery and anesthesia, so I am... show more My dad has to have a total laryngectony with the removal of his cancerous tumor this week. They are taking skin from his arm and putting it in his throat and removing his voice box, so really that is all I know. I myself had a bad, life threatening experience with a very minor arm surgery and anesthesia, so I am beyond scared for this surgery, considering it can last anywhere from 6-12 hours. My dad, before having cancer was a beyond active and healthy man, not even on one medication for anything and excersized a lot. Pretty much what im asking is, chances are, the surgery will go fine right? I just get nervous something will go wrong or he is under medication for too long. please ease my mind.
2 answers 2