Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 3 years ago

Why won't my cats eat dog food?

Ran out of canned cat food so gave them canned dog food but they won't touch it. It's one of those expensive foods with 99 percent real beef and chicken so I don't know why won't eat it.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

No cat wi;; ever eat dog food

It just is nor formulated for them

Dogs aren't so fussy, they will eat anything

• Laura
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

They won't eat it because its formulated for a dog, not a cat.

They don't want the same stuff a dog wants.

Give them actual cat food. If you can't do that, just give them some real meat, ideally raw.

• 3 years ago

Your cat will not benefit from dog food at all, just the opposite, it lacks the nutrients a cat needs. Your Cat is trying to tell you something. Purchase some cat food and help im out. Good Luck!

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

Sorry but NO dog food is good for cats. It may smell different to them. Get them canned CAT food and be sure in the future you have enough food for your pets.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 years ago

They put smth in cat food that after eating it cats do not eat anything else. My cat ignores raw beef. Like he doesnt wven sniff it like it is a piece of wood or smth. I boil him chicken and have to mix it with cat wet food because he doesnt eat just chicken alone. Also dey food is not good for cats and especially dog dry food. Go buy cat wet food, it is not expensive

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

Even though they have the same proteins in them and similar ingredients it’s still not cat food, it doesn’t have the minerals and the oil that both attract and stimulate the cats appeti as well as nourish them. Unless they are starving cats don’t like to dog food but dogs usually love eating the cats food (for whatever reason dogs like eating smelly things).

If forced a cat will literally starve and get quite sick on strictly eating a dog food diet - yes I know you said you just ran out, just posting so you know.

So what’s the difference ... the foods expensive and has good chicken, beef etc.... so then why don’t you pour a bowl and try some yourself?. Really all 3 of you are mammals you being human can handle the protein in th food. Any grains or vegetables in the food your body will be able to digest easier than your dog can, any charcoal or ash shouldn’t be any problem you literally eat more when you outdoor barbecue grill. Dog food is closer match to a humans digestion than it is to a cat. Surprised?

When stores open simply pick up some cat food for the cats, as long as they don’t have any medical issues they should be fine just missing one or two meals.

• 3 years ago

Because unlike you they're not idiots. Dogs and cats are entirely different species and should NEVER be eating each other's food. Get your *** out of the house and go get some cat food.

• Shay
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

Dog food is just different enough that most cats need to be half starving before they will touch it. Dog food also lacks some of the nutrients that cats need, so please don't feed your cat dog food for very long.

Cats very finicky eaters. They will often refuse to eat even a new cat food unless you mix it with something they are familiar with. I realize that you stated you ran out of their regular cat food, so you didn't get a chance to mix it before offering something new.

When changing food for a cat, it is best to mix their usual food with the new food for several days. The mixing is done in ratios that start as 75% of their usual food and 25% of the new food. Feed that ratio for a few days, then change to 50% of each for a few days, then change to 75% new and 25% old for a few days and after that, give 100% of the new kind.

One last thing. Cats often have a bad reaction to new foods. There is a very good chance that introducing a big change in their food will create some stomach distress that could include diarrhea, vomiting or gas. (yes, cats do fart and if your cats get hungry enough to eat the dog food, you can expect some very smelly ones.) Mixing the food as I described above often reduces those digestive issues when giving a cat a new food.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

Often when a cat or a dog has their food changed they won't eat for two or three days. I suspect that is what is going on with your cat.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.