Am I still able to see my son with an order of protection against me (please read)?

My ex girlfriend that is due with my son in two weeks is going tomorrow to get an order of protection, but she wants me to still see the baby. Is that possible?

Favorite Answer

Sounds like you could see the baby only if and when the baby is in somebody else's care, and mom is not around.

It's possible if she's not present when you visit the baby.

Not if the baby is with her and that violates the order.

She drops the child off somewhere, she leaves, then you pick up the child.

Yes, unless the order of protection against you includes the baby.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.

Yes. Most states have a system where she can drop the kid off at a neutral child welfare facility and leave. Then you go there and see the kid for a while. Then you leave and she comes and gets the kid. Or you can arrange it yourself at some neutral place, timing things so you do not see each other. OR, you could sue for full custody of the kid. Keep in mind it can all backfire on you, you could be denied visitation AND have to pay child support.

No. It's technically possible, but it makes no sense and a judge would need a good reason.

First off, the court isn't going to assume that it's your child. You can assume that, but for the court that hasn't been decided.

When she files a protection order, she's saying that your a danger. That your a psychical threat. She's saying that it's likely that you do physical hard to her.

But the baby is ok????

She can get a protective order that would cover the baby, but she can only request it after the baby is actually born.

By the same token, she can also request supervised-only visitation between you and the baby. If you are not married, you will have to establish your paternity in court first, before getting any custody or visitation - until that is done, she will have full custody, and can determine who does and doesn't have access to her child.

Yes, just as long as the baby is not in your girlfriend's care or at her residence. But I agree, its completely illogical.