Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 3 years ago

Exercise, where to start?

I’m injured, haven’t exercised in years. Walking exasperates the injuries, I live in a hilly area and there are no local pools, plus I can’t swim. I’m probably 75 pounds overweight. Diet alone does nothing, I eat protein & veggies only, no sugar, no processed junk but my body is too far gone. So now what?

Start by seeing your doctor. They can advise you about what to avoid. They may also be able to refer you to a physical therapist who can do a full assessment, especially of your older injuries, and work out a plan to both try and improve the injured areas and help you to lose weight in a way that doesn't cause further problems.

maybe you should get your thyroid checked, that might be why you cant lose weight

• Liar

I don't know the full range of your injuries, so it's tough to advise you. My primary suggestion would be good old cardio. Find a couple work-outs that work for you, and follow along with them daily. They don't need to be too long, maybe 15 minutes, but maybe have a more intense routine that you do at least a couple days a week.

If you can afford it, I would also strongly suggest kayaking. I know you said you cannot swim, but that's not too much of an issue so long as you wear your life jacket. Kayaking works multiple muscle groups, including the legs. Plus it's pretty damn relaxing on top of being calorie burning.

Household chores can also be calorie burning. Mowing the lawn, pulling weeds, cleaning, chopping wood, etc.