What is it called when you multiply something by itself 3 times? Not cubed, but the one after that.?

7 Answers

  • 3 years ago

    Something raised to the 4th power, you mean, like x^4?

  • 3 years ago

    When you multiply something by itself "X" times, the number X includes the first number you started with.

    If you multiply 5 by itself three times, it does mean

    5 * 5 * 5 = 125


    "5 cubed"

    "the cube of 5"

    For numbers, there are no names that are used anymore for higher powers. We just say "to the fifth power" if the number is multiplied by itself 5 times. You could say "quintified" but we would look at you kind of strange for a second or two, then someone might realize that "oh! you means raised to power 5."

    2^5 = 2*2*2*2*2 = 32

    "two to the fifth power"

    "two, to power 5"

    Old names are still used if you multiply polynomials by themselves a number of times.

    (x + 2) for example.

    To power "1" is simply itself (x + 2) and it is called "linear" (because if you draw a graph, you get a line).

    (x + 2)^2 = (x + 2)(x + 2) = x^2 + 4x + 4

    is called a "quadratic" (from the Latin "quadratum" meaning square, because the power 2 is often called "square")

    (x + 2)^3 = x^3 + 6x^2 + 12x + 8 is called a cubic

    and so is any polynomial where the highest power is a "3", even if it is not a perfect cube.

    Then you have quartic (4), quintic (5), sextic (6), septic (7) and so on. If you insist, you can use the Latin name of any number, and slap the suffix "-ic" at the end, for the appropriate power (ventiquartic 24); you will get an even stranger look from the others.

    Modern mathematicians do not (in general) use these names. They simply say "of degree 6" (or whatever the number of the highest degree in the polynomial).

    The problem (gramatically) is that these words are adjectives (they qualify something) and using them as noun is forcing it.

    "I solved a quartic, today. It was not easy." (old-timer like me using old formulas)

    "I soved a degree-4 today. It was easier than what Raymond told me." (modern mathematician using souces on the internet).

  • Anonymous
    3 years ago

    2 x 2 is squared

    2 x 2 x 2 is cubed

    I think you mean cubed.

    After that it's just "to the fourth power"

    There's no special name for it.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

    Not commonly used, x^4 could be called "x tesseracted"

    A geometric figure with the same length and width (2 dimension) is a square.

    A geometric figure with the same length width, and depth (3 dimensions) is a cube.

    A geometric figure with the same length in 4 dimensions is a tesseract.

    A geometric figure with the same length in 5 dimension is a hypercube.

  • 3 years ago

    You could use some math 101

  • 3 years ago

    Quadrupled is x^4

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.