Absolutely!! I've done it. I had 25 lbs to lose. I lost 15 lbs in 3 weeks, effortlessly - the weight just fell off. What I am telling you WORKS..
First, you need to know how many calories to eat each day in order to lose weight (there are calculators online, just google 'how many calories to eat each day). For me, I need 1800 calories to maintain, and 1500 to lose weight.. NEVER go too low - your body will think there is a famine in the land and will not burn fat.. so you need to know how many calories, you personally should be eating.. if you don't like to count calories, you can skip this part, but no guarentee that you lose weight. It's worth counting calories for awhile - you soon learn what it too high, and what is a proper portion - then you don't need to count anymore.
1) no more sugar or foods that contain sugar. This may sound impossible, but the truth is, it is easy! It takes only 3 days of a sugar free diet for you to no longer crave it.. the more sugar you eat, the more you crave it. Stop eating it, and you stop the craving very quickly, because sugar is addictive. Also, a big help is Stevia. Stevia is an herb that you can buy at the health food store - it has been used for thousands of years, with no side effects. It is an all natural sweetener. It can be used to sweeten tea, coffee, hot chocolate, fruit, smoothies - it can't be used to replace sugar in recipes like cake - because sugar in those recipes take up a lot of space in the recipe.. whereas you use very little stevia. If you buy this, it is expensive - a small bottle for $10 BUT, you use such a small amount that the bottle will last a long time - at least a month, and for me, it is worth the cost. Do not use artificial sweeteners - they increase your appetite, and you end up heavier plus they are just very unhealthy and can cause side effects. They are nothing but chemicals that your body does not need, or know what to do with. When I quit using artificial sweeteners, I lost 10 lbs automatically. This was years and years ago - I have NEVER been as heavy as I was ever again, as when using artificial sweeteners!
2) severely cut back on grain products (bread, pasta, rice, cereals). If you have a normal body weight, grains are okay, but they are all carbohydrates, JUST LIKE SUGAR to your body.. grains ARE sugar to your body, and eating them stops you from losing weight and is probably the reason you are overweight. You don't have to give them up entirely or forever - but you do, if you want to lose weight. those 'healthy whole grains' we are told endlessly to eat? Turns out they are not necessary! Turns out, that's why most of us are overweight! (protein and fat are ESSENTIAL, carbs are not) avoid all bread, white flour, white rice, pasta, processed breakfast cereals.. you can eat these later, once you lose the weight, if you choose to.. whole wheat bread is not any better than white (check the glycemic index). Maybe you are thinking 'hey, people have been eating grain forever, how can they be a problem? Well, back in the day, people had to harvest grain by hand, the saying 'the daily grind' is in reference to grinding grain, which took a long time - so, yes, they ate grain, but it was a very small amount - not like today where we have bagels for breakfast, sandwich at lunch, pasta for dinner, followed by cake for dessert!
3) alcohol is also sugar to the body - avoid it entirely and all fruit juice (fruit is healthy, but when you take out the fiber, and make juice, basically all you have left is water and sugar - juice is as bad for you as drinking a soda)
4) read labels and look for hidden sugars! For example,1 cup of milk has 11 grams of sugar in it! Better would be unsweetened almond milk with zero sugar. Same goes with yogurt - you can buy plain yogurt and sweeten it with stevia or fruit, but don't buy the sweetened yogurt.
5) stay away from processed foods as much as you can - they are just loaded with JUNK and are too high in sugar, salt, fat.. our bodies don't need crap, they need good healthy nutritious food that is high in vitamins and minerals. If you give your body what it needs, the cravings stop automatically. Seriously - I can look at a chocolate brownie now, and feel absolutely no desire to eat it.. I don't feel deprived at all..
6) Walnuts - this took a while to figure out.. if you don't give your body HEALTHY fats, regularly, it will hang onto all your body fat.. I find that eating 3 walnuts at breakfast, and 3 at lunch, the weight literally falls off. Other nuts are good too, but for some reason, walnuts seem to have the best results..
So, what can you eat? There is so much you can eat - fruit, veggies, nuts, seeds, dairy, meat, eggs,sweet potatoes
Here's a sample menu:
Breakfast #1 two scrambled eggs; an orange, and 3 walnuts. You will cover all the basis with this - the eggs are a complete protein, and contain healthy fats. They are good for your eyesight. The orange has fiber and carbohydrates, has vitamin C (which you must eat, since we can't make it), and the walnuts are a healthy source of omega 6 - lots of arguements that we get too many omega 6's, but that is the unhealthy kind - walnuts are brain food. The fat in walnuts is used throughout the body for many functions. Eating 3 in the morning, and then 3 in the afternoon, will ensure you get enough omega 6 in your diet. Google 'nuts and weight loss' and you will find that the thinnest people eat nuts regulary - nuts turn off the appetite switch in the brain.
Breakfast #2 - fruit smoothie or fruit salad, with handful of nuts
Lunch and dinner options:
some kind of protein (beans, beef, chicken, fish) with LOTS of veggies (there are so many options here - don't stick to a big salad that you always eat - try new things! Steamed asparagus, broccoli with lemon and butter sauce, snow peas with pineapple chunks, California salad, spinach salad, coleslaw, beans, baked tomatoes with cheese!! Go on any vegan website - they eat veggies, and you will find a ton of veggie recipes!). Fruit for dessert.
If you follow this guideline, you will be amazed at how good you feel, and how fast you lose the weight. Lastly, read about intermittent fasting - it is really healing to the body and makes you lose weight. At the beginning of this answer I said you need to know how many calories you can eat each day and still lose weight - let's say it is 1500 - I gotta tell you that dividing this into two huge meals is a lot more satisfying that trying to divide it into 3 small meals that leave me wanting more.. this is why I do intermittent fasting. Basically, I eat a huge breakfast, an even bigger lunch and then fast for the next 17 hours - honestly, your body LOVES this.. you get used to it quickly and it gives you a lot of freedom - going out for dinner with friends? Skip breakfast and just have lunch and dinner then! This works, and you can do it! So, just to clarify - with intermittent fasting, you don't eat less - if you need 1500 calories, you eat say, 600 at breakfast, and 900 at lunch - you get all your calories, only in a shorter time - this makes a huge difference! Watch some videos on this..