promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Can pressure treated 4 x 4 posts be panted?

I want to use pressure treated since the posts go in the ground. I’m doing this for my mother. She wants a white fence. Can I paint those pressure treated 4x4 beams? When I buy them they seem to be still damp. How long do they need to dry before I paint them, if they can be painted?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago

dont paint them for at least 6 months. they need to dry out.. if you paint then sooner there is a risk of the paint peeling after a short time

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 years ago

You can paint them but if it is noticeably wet looking beforehand it may bleed through. At most, a second coat, which you would probably do anyway,.

• Poppy
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Give them 6 months before painting. Alternatively use cedar or red wood, not pa8ntable. Or go with white vinyl, no paint needed.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

a few days is no where near long enough for timber that thick to dry out, the surface may feel dry but they will still be wet deep inside especially if its not stamped KDAT (sizes that big usually aren’t) and when that moisture tries to get out it will lift the paint, I would wait a couple of months if its outside where the wind can help dry it, stored inside with no air circulation it will take much longer to dry

the moisture meter someone mentioned is a good answer and the only true way to know if its dry enough without cutting one open

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

I have the same issue with an overhead patio cover beam. My research pretty much agrees with the other folks here (a few to several days in warm weather to dry them out) but some sources suggested a few to several months. That was a good fit to my procrastinator nature so after 3 months they remain unpainted. But any day now...

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Disregard krazy girl. She doesn't know much. Yes, of course you can. Once it is dried out completely, it can be painted or stained.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Can be painted, but you need to wait until the timber has dried (you can tell this if drops of water soak in or not) use a suitable external primer (check the label) and you need a couple of coats of latex paint.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.