Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 3 years ago

Do you agree with this guy the old Protestant denominations are drying away (presbyterian, lutheran)?

This historian writes:

"Episcopalian, Methodist, Presbyterian, Lutheran—the name hardly matters anymore. The average American these days would have ­trouble recalling the dogmas that once defined all the jarring individual sects, but their names remain at least half alive: a kind of verbal remembrance of the nation’s religious history.

The death of the Mainlines is the central historical fact of our time: the event that distinguishes the past several decades from every other ­period in American history. Almost every one of our current political and cultural oddities, our contradictions and obscurities, derives from this fact: The Mainline has lost the capacity to set, or even significantly influence, the national vocabulary or the national self-understanding.

We are witnessing the death of Protestant America—by the collapse of the churches that were once both the accommodating help and the criticizing prophet of the American ­experiment."

So he says this is a lot of what is causing the moral decline in America. The joel osteen megachurches don't have a moral backbone like some of the old protestant denomination sects had."

https://www.firstthings.com/article/2008/08/001-th...

Update:

"dying away" I meant

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I do think dogmatic religions are falling by the wayside... there are small groups clinging to them trying to keep them alive and going, but for the most part people are just dropping them and walking away from them like flies because they don't make much sense in modern society, they don't solve our problems.

I think people who remain religious/seek religion are going to move towards more spiritual paths and concepts that are not as dogmatic, do not require blind faith or to accept scripture against all rational evidence.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

NO WE HAVE TONS OF CHURCHES AROUND HERE...THIS IS THE BIBLE BELT AND MY CHURCH HAS THOUSANDS OF MEMBERS...WE ARE THE BIGGEST ONE AROUND HERE. THEY EVEN BUILT A CATHOLIC CHURCH UP THE ROAD 5 MILES.

• TeeM
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

Depends upon where you live.

In the 'Bible Belt' being Baptist (specifically which Baptist Church, 1st Baptist, 1st Southern Baptist, etc), Church of Christ, and the others is very important.

In other parts of the country, being 'non-denominational' is the new 'catch phrase'.

Sadly this is an error in statement. "Non-denominational" churches have a denomination (or a set of specific beliefs) they just hide them from the general public, behind the expressions 'christian and non-denomination.

Each 'non-denomination' has their beliefs, (those of their minister) which may or may not agree with the 'non-denominational' church across the street.

• Wundt
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

History is littered with religions, denomination, and cults that have faded away. New religions rise to take their place, until they too will die off when the next religion arises. Whenever a 'believer' tells me that their religion is the one true religion I have to laugh, because I know that the believers of those now extinct religions believed with the same certainty and fervor.

It should be a cautionary tale that certainty of belief is not evidence of truth.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Lomax
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

The moral decline of a nation is NOT dependent on the activeness or otherwise of its churches.

Indeed, I would suggest the exact opposite of your apparent point of view. To pick a couple of examples from US history, 150 years ago a great number of fervently religious men thought that slavery was taking up arms to defend. And three hundred years ago some extremely pious observers thought they were doing "God's will" when they tortured to death a number of inhabitants of Salem.

Or we could talk about paedophile bishops...

• At least the old protestant denominations stood for something . Now it's just a blob of relativism.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.