Sassy
Sassy asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 3 years ago

How do you deal with family members that rub things in your face and are mean spirited people too?

My cousin got in engaged yesterday and I know my aunt will rub it my face since I'm divorced. When my ex and I were getting divorced my aunt and uncle were saying nasty comments about my ex husband and etc.

• g
    Favorite Answer

You smile and deflect to your cousin's happiness. Don't allow them to drag you down. Walk away if you need to.

Unfortunately, you're going to have to be really firm with them.

"No! Your comments are not okay and I will not tolerate that kind of behaviour." Then I would leave.

just tell them you dont want to hear it

Not sure why you care.... if someone makes a rude comment about your past, remember --- this is where they live... in the past. I see no benefit to living in the past or bringing it up, considering i live RIGHT NOW.

Some people don't know how and they like to dwell on the negative. I'd ignore it.

I don't know your aunt, so I don't know if she really is a mean spirited bit ch. I'll take your word for it though, as I too have a relative like your aunt. When it comes to nasty digs and such, I consider the source and let it roll off my back. She doesn't have any power over you to ruin your mood unless you allow her to. But keep it in mind that she may not know how to express herself very well. When you divorced your husband, she might have thought that by saying disparaging things about him, that she was showing support. And who knows, if she goes on & on about her daughter's engagement, she might be trying to tell you that there are plenty more fish in the sea. When she says things that are mean, switch it up on her by being passive aggressive. Like, " Oh Auntie, Suzy's a nice girl, we all knew she'd eventually snag a man." Don't take it personally if she truly is a bit ch. She's a sad lady who feels so bad about herself that she has to share her shame with you.

• J

keep the distance from any one who is not making you feel good, family or not.

Do not give her the reaction she is looking for, IF she really is 'rubbing it in your face.' Just keep to a single statement like, I am really happy for them and wish them the best, (then change the subject to something innocuous) no matter what she says. If she does not see that you are getting irked and are not going to get into it with her. she will go pick on someone else. As far as their general unpleasantness, just limit your contact with them to the bare minimum and remain civil, use the same tactic.

Say **** YOU to your aunt and tell them to SHUT THE **** UP YOU HAGS. Don't let them treat you like ****

You deserve better. :D

Stay away from them.