b asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 2 years ago

What do skunks smell like?

I'm a British kid so I have never smelt one before.

Does it come out like a fart?

Is it enough to make you hold your nose?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • L.N.
    Lv 7
    2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It's their self defense system. Their musk comes out in a liquid stream that they can aim and shoot several feet. If it gets in your eyes it is like mace and will temporarily blind you. The odor is so strong it can make you gasp for breath and vomit. The smell is often compare to that of burning rubber.

• 2 years ago

You can smell it for miles. Kind of inbetween a fart and the smell of burning cigarettes. You know the smell in most US states.

• 2 years ago

My brother was sprayed. The stuff reeks, it's enough to make you throw up - you'll be nauseous for the entire time you're in the vicinity of the stink. Farts don't even compare.

Have you smelled a ferret that 'poofed'? Skunks are three times worse.

• 2 years ago

It is not particularly offensive. It probably won't make you vomit after smelling it. It does not smell fishy, but it is definitely not perfumey even though my biochemistry teacher said that in very low concentrations, the chemical in skunk spray is used in perfume.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • oikoσ
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Very musky. When the smell is diluted by distance, it isn't bad. When it's on you, it is obnoxious to you and those around you and it lasts and lasts and lasts. A dilute acid can reduce the stench, though.

• 2 years ago

i love skunk fart smell

• 2 years ago

bad.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.