How do I know if my car is road trip ready ?

I have a super cool 99 CR-V, it drives fine and I haven't had to out too much work into it, i also maintain it pretty well . I really want to take it out of town to see a friend. Not super far just about a 4 hour drive. Do you think it'll be okay? I just get nervous cause its my baby i would hate if something happened to it on the road ,

10 Answers

Relevance
  • JetDoc
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Nope. The MAXIMUM you can drive ANY 1999 vehicle is 3.275 hours. If you go any farther than that, it WILL blow up and you'll have to have it towed to the junk yard.

• 2 years ago

There is only one way to find out, and you already know what that one way is.

A certified mechanic can only do so much, nothing more. They can tell you that your vehicle is in good shape right now, and that it probably-most-likely won't break down on you within the next 20 days or so. But the key words are probably most likely, because there is no such thing as a guarantee.

Don't feel bad, it's not just you. Whether a car is brand new or heavily used, whether it's had one previous owner or a dozen, whether it has 200 or 200,000 km on the odometer, nobody gets a guarantee. Your (or any other) vehicle might break down today, tomorrow, next week or 9 years from now.

• don r
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Get it checked out by a mechanic. Likely, the trip will be fine.

• 2 years ago

Relax. have your mechanic check it out if will make you breathe easier.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

Been changing the motor oil and filter every 3,000 miles?

If it's an automatic are you changing the tranny ATF every 60,000 miles?

All motors made by Honda have a common problem with the valves getting tight and they need adjusting every 60,000 miles.

how do the tires and brakes look?

When's the last time you took the radiator cap off to check the antifreeze level?

I find that people that ask "if their car will make it" usually have no idea what car maintenance is!

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • Anonymous
    2 years ago

If you have been driving it everyday, your baby should make it easily. Bring the cell phone, just in case.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

If it drives fine for short trips it should be fine for long trips. Take spare fluids as already advised plus some tape and bendy wire. For total peace of mind you could join the AAA or similar assistance. Take a short rest break halfway as four hours can be tiring. Don't forget your mobile/cell phone.

• 2 years ago

That's not a problem for a car that runs well. In fact, it's probably better for it than numerous short journeys. As said, check all your fluids, all your rubber including tires, wiper blades, hoses and belts and off you go.

• 2 years ago

Four hours (each way even) is a piece of cake for a car you know you can trust to get you to work every day without fail. Your basic Jiffy-Lube style once-over is plenty: check the engine fluids, inspect and air up the tires, make sure the wipers and lights are in working order. Gas up and off you go.

• Jake2 years agoReport

It's not a gamble if the car is solid.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

the following would need to be checked / adjusted / etc -

tire pressure including the spare

jack, lug wrench to change tire

all fluids - radiator, engine oil, brake fluid, and so on

if the spark plugs & wires have not been changed in a year or so, now is the time for them

air filter - same as plugs

ignition timing should be checked and adjusted if needed

an inspection of things like the shock absorbers / macpherson struts, + all undercarriage to be sure of no leaks in exhaust, nothing hanging down, no major rust

there may be other items I don't list, but along with this list + bringing cash, bottle of oil, bottle of antifreeze or water, you should be okay...............you might want to add the Gas Buddy app to your phone - you can see the prices for fuel wherever you go

• Lv 7
      2 years agoReport

hey anuses with the TD's - what kind of mechanical knowledge do you fux have ?? I will bet little to none, whereas I have over 50 years !!!! you are punks who take it in the rear

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.