Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 3 years ago

Rat and roaches at apartment?

I moved into my current apartment about a month ago. The first week of living here I never noticed anything, until a couple weeks ago. I was bringing my groceries in from my car and saw a huge rat run acorss the floor and behind a door. After that incident, I saw another rat like 3 feet away from my front door and it almost got in. I decided to tell my landlord this and he said there's already an exterminator that comes out and nobody has ever complained about them. I kept telling him that it almost got in my place but he didn't seem to take me seriously.

I've also seen roaches here as well. Last night I was getting home from work and 3 huge cockroaches were crawling on the wall. My boyfriend said he also saw a roach crawling on the ground and trying to get in someone's apartment.

This is getting ridiculous and I'm not sure what to do. I hate to move out but I'm not sure what else I can do at this point. The landlord isn't taking this seriously and said I'm the only one that's ever complained. What should I do?

Bug spray?? If they are outside there is really nothing that can be done.

They're all outside, NOT inside. Same as for any area of the city.

Indoor roaches you kill by getting dry Borax and mixing 1/2 cup with 1/4 cup of sugar and putting the dry mix on index cards or in old jar lids and sliding it under your furniture - they eat it and die. Rats indoors you set rat traps for, they're $4 from any hardware store. No landlord is going to kill outside insects and rats, there's no way to stop them from coming unless there's an open garbage issue drawing them to the building. Bag your garbage up, don't leave food around for them outside, and your issues will be greatly reduced.

There are inexpensive electronic devices you are able purchase at Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot or Ace Hardware that you would be able to plug into an electric socket, that would rid your house of these vermin. You would also be able to find these devices in catalogs as well as online.

I have used these devices in excess of 6 years and have no problems with roaches, rats or ants.

The good thing about these devices is you are able to take these devices with you when you move to another place.

The bugs your husband saw crawling outside are not roaches, though they are the same color and look like roaches. In most states they are called some form of water bug. They will enter the house. roaches are wall dwellers and would not be outside.

You might send your landlord letters and emails in an attempt to solve the problem. You are the one that is living under the conditions having to put up with the rodents and roaches in your rental unit.

I hope this has been of some benefit to you, good luck.

"FIGHT ON"

German cockroaches live inside, they do not crawl on the ground to get in your apartment. Those beetles who live outside do not infest inside

• Maxi

Put your request in writing to the landlord and keep a copy only a foolish landlord would not deal with rats and cockroaches in their property........ rats do damage, they chew wires/pipes and can cause serious issues including fires, bring disease and smell, make sure you date the letter and if after 1 week nothing happens make a complaint to your local city health department

If you want to continue to live there, try and get photos. Present copies to the landlord and demand fumigation. However, roaches breed in the walls. Unless he fumigates the entire building, you will always have the roaches. He cannot force a tenant to accept fumigation and many immigrants refuse it. They live with them where they come from and they are ignorant about the filthy nature of them. I sympathize with you. I could not live that way.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.