Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 3 years ago

I really don't know who was wrong or right in this scenario?

Granted that they are not together anymore, my cousin got married in Vegas 3 years ago. He divorced a year after they got married. They all lived in Germany. I wasn't there when this conversation took place, my aunt just told it to me. My cousin's wife's mom told my cousin that if the marriage didnt work out, that she should be refunded the money she spent for her flight, because she flew from Germany. My aunt was there when she said it. My aunt talked back and "Oh yeah, and also the money that you spent playing slot machine, that should be reimbursed to you, too. Then my aunt told me, "If she's going to be nasty with me, then I'm going to be nasty, too."

• GEEGEE
    Favorite Answer

Most people don't go to weddings with the expectation they will be reimbursed if the marriage fails. No matter how expensive or far the trip. That said, people have the right to express unpopular feelings without being wrong. Just different. She'll likely wait a really long time to get any refunds.

I don't see what the conversation has to do with right or wrong. It's a conversation; there is no moral quality involved.

It sounds to me that there is a lot of immaturity going on here. Perhaps that is why there was a divorce after only a year. perhaps they were not mature enough to make the commitment necessary for marriage. Of course no one is refunded anything related to a wedding. I know the USA is a very litigious society but do not tell me people are now going to start suing for the expense of going to a wedding, buying an outfit for it, the cost of the wedding present, etc. if the couple subsequently divorce.

• Cogito

They were both wrong, ignorant, petty and very childish.

Thank goodness you don't "have a dog in this fight".

• Attendee's do not get their money back. Everyone was "asked" to come and be a witness to the wedding ceremony, to share in the celebration. It was a REQUEST to come not an order.

This relative who chose to come, did so on her own accord. She got exactly what was promised to her, a wedding ceremony and that's exactly what she got.

In your relatives agreement to come, the host of the wedding made accommodations for all guests. Those accommodations were a promise for a seat, food, wine, room for any halls that were ordered at cost and the wedding chapel and what ever other costs that the bride, groom or other who paid for the wedding ceremony.

This relative who is complaining, got what was promised to her in exchange for her agreement to come.

She gets NO MONEY!

Any arguments between family is pointless, it doesn't matter who was rudest. What matters is the purpose of the argument. The German lady is wrong and that's that.

sounds like theyre both wrong

• .

Don't get involved. Whatever agreement they setup is up to them. Your aunt should've kept her mouth shut.

Right

There is no right and wrong here, but simply too different two different perspectives. Your cousin's mother-in-law feels it is her right to be reimbursed and perhaps she is angry at your cousin for the marriage coming to an end. It is possible your Aunt felt stung/hurt/angered by that comment, hence why she reacted in what she perceived as the same abrupt or in her word 'nasty' way. Your Aunt may have felt she needed to protect her son from this woman. Ultimately, it would seem you have two mothers who are feeling angry/hurt/upset and they have lashed out as a way of venting those feelings.