Nic

"A lot of people DO" or "A lot of people DOES", which one is correct?

Imagine that I have a piece of land and I call it a lot. So I plant some apples in this lot, the apples grow, and then I eat them. Then I say "I ate a lot of apples"..

In this case wouldn't it be correct to say "A lot of apples is good" since lot is singular and I'm treating it as the main subject?

Favorite Answer

lot, as an allocation, is a different word/phrase from a lot=many. Many do, a lot do. A lot is a plot of land, or a lot is my portion of the take. Not the same things at all. You could, conceivably, have a lot of lots to sell in a new residential development.

A lot of people do. First person singular/plural: I/We do. Second person singular: He/she/it does. Second person plural: You do. Third person (always) plural: They do.

A lot of land is not the same as a lot of apples. The first is singular, the second is collective, so in your example, it's 'A lot of apples are good.'

• ?

"A lot of"- first of all, is considered too informal for formal, academic writing. But it is also one of a small group of quantifiers where the verb agrees with the object of the preposition "of"

A lot of sugar is... (non count nouns take a singular verb)

A lot of the boys are... (the verb agrees with the object of the preposition)

it has nothing to do with a "lot" of land.

There are other quantifiers that do this:

Some of the sugar is... (non count noun)

Some of the boys are...

A lot of land is empty. The noun "lot" in that sentence is singular. If you plant trees on it is no longer a lot, it is an orchard.

If you eat a lot of apples grown on that ground, "lot" is a collective noun, and takes the plural verb

• Mike

LOT is COLLECTIVE singular, and therefore takes the PLURAL VERB: a LOT of apples "ARE" good.