Is it normal for a consumer advocacy group to ask how much money is in my bank account?

I was referred to an advocacy firm to help me with issues with my insurance company. During the intake, the paralegal asked for how much money I have in my bank account. I refused and was told they wouldn't help me without that information. Is that a normal question and why would they need that? I asked and she... show more I was referred to an advocacy firm to help me with issues with my insurance company. During the intake, the paralegal asked for how much money I have in my bank account. I refused and was told they wouldn't help me without that information. Is that a normal question and why would they need that? I asked and she wouldn't give me a straight answer why they need that information, just kept saying that it was 'just in case'.