Better first gun revolver, pistol or shotgun?

I am getting a gun for my first home for home defense and possibly to get into hunting water fowl next fall. Primarily it would be for home defense not conceal and carry as I’m a teacher and cannot carry at work. I am torn between three guns in particular and I’m surprised the handguns are more expensive.

1. Smith & Wesson 442 engraved: $615

2. Jericho IWI 941 9mm: $500

3. Remington 870 tactical: $375

I like the smith and Wesson because it looks like a gun you could hand down for generations.

I like the Jericho because I’m an American-Israeli and believe in Israeli technology

I like the 870 because it’s American and a classic reliable home defense weapon.

Favorite Answer

How about a 4th suggestion? Get a shotgun with interchangeable barrels. Mossberg 500 line or the like. That way you can have your home defense tactical size shotgun, and in 30 seconds you can have your waterfowl gun ready to go.

Or you can try and shoot geese with a 9mm, although it will be very difficult and most certainly illegal.

Heh heh, Consider a Rossi Circuit Judge, it's both a Rifle and a Shotgun, I'm not kidding, it's not a bad option, but I know Taurus Judge haters are going to dislike this answer.

• Quinn

Personally, I would never buy a fancy engraved ornate gun specifically for home defense. If you ever do use a gun in home defense situation, it will be taken as evidence by the police and several things can happen: It can be "lost". It can be damaged - and good luck trying to get the government to reimburse you. It can be used as evidence against you by an anti-gun prosecutor who wants to make you out to a jury as a gun nut who cares more about guns than human life - you will be surprised just how inane some of these anti-gun zealots are.

Pistols are primarily backup weapons. They exists because sometimes the long gun fails/malfunctions and you want a backup. Pistol are better than nothing, but if you have a choice such as home defense, it's better to use the shotgun and have the pistol as a backup to it.

As for hunting, many states have restrictions on what caliber weapon and barrel length restrictions. A shotgun for self-defense makes a poor hunting gun because the barrel length is too short for water fowl hunting. And, obviously, you are not going to be using a 9mm or a S&W 442 for hunting fowls.

• Adam D

Well if you intend to hunt later on, the shotgun is the clear option here. I don't like the tactical version of the Remington, my recommendation if you're going Remington would be the 870 Express. I know for sure they offer interchangeable barrels (as does the Mossberg 500 that someone else recommended), meaning if you decided you wanted to deer hunt as well, you could get a rifled slug barrel for about $150 later on - far less than the cost of a new rifle. I started out hunting with this very set up.

Your 9mm choice is fine, but your reason is insane. Your feet don't care where your shoes are made, they only care if the shoes are comfortable. There are more 9mm options out there than one can easily recite here, you need to find a range that rents firearms and try some out. You may find that the guns you think you like don't feel right in your hand, or the controls don't fit you well, or you just don't like the way they shoot. I'm an American and believe in American technology, but my next handgun is probably going to be Austrian...

As for the revolver, I don't like lightweight revolvers in general, I find them harder to steady. Their main advantage is they are easier to carry all day - but you aren't carrying, so that advantage is negated. I don't like the way shrouded hammers look, but that is a matter of preference. If I were you, I'd look at some of the steel framed options from S&W and Ruger if you're going with the 38 special. And if you're willing to consider an exposed hammer, that opens up even more models. Since this won't be a carry gun, no real reason to go with a snub nose, so maybe consider a slightly longer (3" or 4") barrel, which will make it more enjoyable to shoot at the range - meaning you'll practice more with it - which opens up even more options. Pretty much all of the revolver models from these two brands will be of a quality that they will outlast you and your kids if taken care of properly.

Guns are very dangerous. Also I believe it is video games that cause more violence. My 16 year old son doesn’t play hunting or any violent games. We are a very good family. My 14 year old daughter doesn’t game either. We do game, but they are good games, like Nintendo. Also it is the bad movies that cause hunting as well. We need to stop hunting. It’s so mean

The 870 would be your best bet (although I am not a fan of Remington shotgun, just a personal preference with regards to the location of the controls) since it is the most versatile for hunting and home defense.

• C T M

I own all three of the guns you list, except my Jericho is the 941 PSL. Get the 941.

• Shotgun would be best, since it can be used both for home defense and hunting (especially for hunting fowl). If you decide to take it hunting, make certain you know your state's laws about what kind of ammo you can use as well as how much you can have loaded in the gun at any one time. For instance, in my state, you're only permitted to be able to have 3 shells in the shotgun. It's not enough to only load 3 shells, you have to plug the gun so it can't hold more than 3 shells.

As far as handguns go for personal defense, IMO a pistol is better. I'm not familiar with the Jericho, but I am partial to my .357 Sig. I have a Sig Sauer P229, and my reasoning for getting it was that it was comparably priced to other handguns and the .357 Sig is the caliber that the Secret Service uses. I figured that if they felt it was good enough to do their job, then it was good enough for me to protect myself. Plus it's a fairly lightweight and sturdy gun. My only advice would be for you to find a store where you can practice with different guns until you've got an idea of what's more comfortable for you.