Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsOther - Diseases · 3 years ago

My doctor refused to test my sons for celiac disease after I was recently diagnosed. I volunteered to pay out of pocket. He still refused.?

I was diagnosed with celiac disease one month ago. According to the Universities of Chicago, Harvard and Columbia, all family members should be screened every few years for celiac disease regardless of symptoms.

My doctor asked my sons how they were feeling and very bluntly told me that they don't need to be tested for celiac disease.

I volunteered to pay out of pocket for my tests but the doctor still said that it is totally unnecessary and insisted that he knows what is best for the kids.

Since then I have learnt a lot more from reading online and looking at reputable university medical center celiac websites. How can I get my kids screened every couple of years for celiac without a doctor's referral.

Again, I'm willing to pay for it.

7 Answers

  • 3 years ago

    There are labs that will test for tissue transglutaminase antibodies (tTG-IgA) and other celiac disease tests with out a doctor order. Search online.

    The need for screening is just a matter of opinion. You can argue that everyone should be screened for all silent medical problems that can be easily tested. You can also argue that there's no point in screening for a medical problem unless a person has symptoms of a problem. Both views make sense and doctors fall into both camps. .

  • Tavy
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

    This is not advised in the UK, it is not genetic.

    This is why your Doctor refused.

  • 3 years ago

    You use just a modicum of intelligence and see another doctor.

  • Laura
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

    Your kids should be going to a pediatrician, not your GP. Talk with the kid's doctor.

    If the kids don't have their own doctor, they should. A pediatrician is best with kids and their medical needs.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • L.N.
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

    In the US try, someone is always willing to take your money whether it is medically necessary or not.

  • 3 years ago

    Wait until there are symptoms, like chronic diarrhea.

  • 3 years ago

    Go to a different doctor or ask a different doctor. Make use of the walk in clinics. The one you have isn't doing right by you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.