Isn't Calvinism/reformed theology essentially just the idea that followers can do anything they want and still be saved, because they are "p?

The general principle behind Calvinism is predestination, as in those who choose to practice it are essentially predestined to do certain things, whether those things are good or bad. But somehow this seems almost entirely invalid, as followers could justify doing pretty much anything with or without intent by saying that that they were predestined to do it. This includes killing people, committing crimes, and everything in between. I don't know if there is any way to say what someone in this practice is or is not actually predestined to do, as I have not studied it extensively and I only know about it from having been given details by others. So if I am missing anything here, feel free to enlighten me. Of course I am aware that they also try to use the Bible to support their cause, but for the most part it would appear that this entire practice is nothing more than a way for people to justify anything and everything that they choose to do, while still being saved to go to Heaven. I personally don't see in what world this would come to pass, but maybe I am wrong.

Versus being saved by our works and good deeds. The bible tells us that we are saved only by "grace", not by works.

Ephesians 2:8-9

For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves; it is the gift of God, not by works, so that no one can boast.…

Calvinism seems biblical on the surface. But it becomes weird and twisted the more you try to apply it to real life. You end up trying to stuff everything through the filter of the Five Points, and it just ends up making a weird fatalistic works/non-works theology that just doesn't make practical sense.

Calvinists like McArthur, Washer, and so on, push an alternate gospel where you are saved by grace 'plus devotion' (which ultimately is 'works') at the same time. The theology promises security of the believer in Christ, but you can never know if you are truly a believer...so you have no security. It is just weird and twisted. You can tell by listening to their sermons. It becomes more about what 'you' are doing, and not about what 'Christ' has done on your behalf.

Like most 'ism's', they use a few specious 'proof texts', then build a theology around it.

It is easier just to read what the bible plainly says, and believe the gospel. Don't worry about 'ism's' or other pop theologies.

• yesmar

I'm not that familiar with Reformed Theology, but what I understand about Calvinism is the predominant ideas of Predestination and Election, neither of which I find supported by scripture, although I am familiar with the scriptures they use to defend both ideas.

The "election" doctrine is simply the notion that God decides who he will save and who he won't, and the "predestination" aspect is that he made these decisions at the beginning of creation, or before.

• Rod

Let me say first, I do believe that many of the people/churches who follow Calvinistic theology are christians -- not all but Calvinism does teach salvation by grace through faith in Christ's death, burial and resurrection for our sins which is the salvation gospel (1Cor 15:1-4 & Eph 2:8-9)

But really that is where is starts and finishes with me concerning Calvinism/reformed theology!

The 5 points of Calvinism generally called the TULIP concept has had a BAD influence on many theological schools, pastors and churches within protestantism and the church with Christ as head (Eph 1:21-22 & Col 1:18)

If I was to sum up this TULIP idea -- it would be that God NEVER gave man a FREE WILL in the first place to make choices.

-It would mean Adam and Eve never had a free will to transgress against God in the garden of Eden but rather God PLANNED for Adam and Eve to sin !

-It would mean any lost sinner who has come to a saving knowledge in Jesus Christ only does so because God PLANNED for it to happen -- lost man didn't choose to !

Calvinism makes a mockery of the scriptures like (John 3:16)

"For God so loved the WORLD, that he gave his only begotten Son, that WHOSOEVER believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life"

According to Calvin --- God did not really love the world but only the elect whom he ALREADY predestined BEFORE he created the world to believe in his only begotten Son !

The word "whosoever" to Calvinism doesn't mean "whoever chooses or decides to believe or not believe through a free will but rather whoever God has already saved or not saved"

Can you see the heresies and dangers of Calvinistic theology ?

Man doesn't seek God for salvation but God seeks man and CHOSE some of the human race himself to be saved before he created the world. This thinking also leads to the idea that God created SIN and that man is not responsible for sinning -- because God planned it !

Calvinism has been a real SCOURGE within the church and has caused many christians to think --- there is no reason to witness and preach to the lost because God has sorted out who will and won't be saved already.

(James 4:6) But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the PROUD, but giveth grace unto the HUMBLE.

How can God give grace unto the humble if they didn't have a free will to decide this?

Source(s): King James bible 1611

That's a typical take on it from people who ask a valid question but are developing an opinion that is completely off. Protestants and reformed theology allow for forgiveness, without payment of indulgences. That's hedging off of becoming what is called, "Libertine" ideology. Libertines thought exactly like you suggest. They were typically the rich and elite parts of the Swiss population, they could treat other people like dirt and think there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. God was satisfied, to them, to settle for sinners who sinned without a pang of conscience.

Even I, have had and have pangs of conscience. That is what the legalistic Christians, who can be viewed as the polar opposites of Libertines, don't realize. The legalistic Christians are radically opposed to any sort of bad behavior EXCEPT corruption of the Gospel by mixing little parts of the Laws of Moses into the Gospel. So to a fault they are strict, as the Libertine was to a fault on forgiving themselves for bad behavior. Both sides are into excusing their own bad behavior, thereby.

Source(s): bisexual Christian

It's funny, but pastors and priests are always saying that people need to do x y and z to be saved . . . but most people do not do all that they are told they must.

But I am not aware of any funeral where the religious leader steps up and says "We are here to celebrate <insert name here> who is now burning in hell because they strayed from the path.

Somehow whether they drank, womanized, beat people or committed suicide or some other "unforgivable" sin, they always seem to be looking down on us from Heaven (TM) and not looking up from hell.

And meanwhile there is not one jot of evidence any of it is true.

God wouldn't prédestiné someone who didn't care. Those predestined are serious about getting RID of sin.

When you consider the nature of God, then you know this could never be true.

Hmmm, I guess predestination could be used as an excuse for crimes and sins, but generally that's not how I've heard the concept used. But on the other side of the coin, I've heard many claim that salvvation allows for sinning and then asking forgiveness, so perhaps you are just pointing out something that is common in human nature.