Help I have a question about signing a petition for my foreign husband.?

I am almost 22 and he is 24. I am a US citizen and through my father's financial support I will be schooling and getting an apartment in Los Angeles.

Later on I will work while studying. When signing for spouse petition can the income shown on my end be joint with my earnings and my father's sponsorship?

5 Answers

  • 3 years ago

    No. You must submit your own Affidavit of Support. You must earn a minimum of $20,575 (an amount which increases annually), and have a home for the two of you. You must submit current year paystubs, and your last 3 years of US income tax returns. If you are a student dependent on your parents, you do not qualify to file a petition to sponsor a fiancé/spouse.

    If you do not earn enough, and if your parent(s) are willing & able to help, then your parent(s) also file Affidavit of Support. Your parent(s) must earn enough to support self, all dependents, you, and your intended spouse. Say you have 2 siblings. Your father must prove he earns enough to support himself, spouse, 2 siblings, you & your spouse - that's 6 people, that's $42,175. Your father's legal & financial liability is unlimited! Many a family has been destroyed by cosponsoring their kid's spouse. Really bad idea.

    If you are married, your spouse must remain in his country of citizenship while the petition is pending. It can take 1-2 years - once you have a home & stable income to meet requirements to file a petition for him.

  • Anonymous
    3 years ago

    you farther need rp sponsor your income $22300 plus your schooling

    I doubt you will make it.....

  • Anonymous
    3 years ago

    Your father can be a financial joint sponsor. If your father agrees to it. But you cannot combine income to meet the 125% poverty level:

    A joint sponsor is someone who is willing to accept legal responsibility for supporting your family member with you. A joint sponsor must meet all the same requirements as you, except the joint sponsor does not need to be related to the immigrant. The joint sponsor (or the joint sponsor and his or her household) must reach the 125% income requirement alone. You cannot combine your income with that of a joint sponsor to meet the income requirement.

    But you could count assets of your future husbands.

    Check also the "If you can't meet the minimum income requirement tab."

    Source(s): click on joint sponsor.
  • Anonymous
    3 years ago

    No. The money you are getting from your father is a gift.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

    No, throughout the world for spouse petition it has to be your income only as you will be responsible to support souse if he gets visa and I doubt you will get it while you are a student, Good Luck

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.