Desktop or laptop for streaming console games?

Hey everyone. I'm wanting to start recording and streaming console games and was wondering what is best to use, desktop or laptop? I'm assuming desktop but I know nothing about this sort of thing so I wanted to ask and seek advice as to which type to get as well. Thanks k you in advance!

• Lv 7

any time you are working with video, desktop is better. you need a decent video card, and capture box for it. i recommend the Hauppauge HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition

you need hardware specific for capturing and streaming the video. it can be done with the computer's native cpu and free software, but without hardware acceleration you'll be very limited in what you can do with resolution and framerate. I use a pc and a hardware card for that, but there's a lot of capture/streaming devices out there, including a lot of standalone ones I believe you could use directly with that console and no computer, and you should be able to find something to use with a laptop as well if you want