Should I feel guilty about this?

I work with this person. He is super sweet. My coworker is a very get-down-to-business type of person and works in a fast-paced way. Today, a customer told me that he was kind of rude to her. I wasn't sure what to say so I said something along the lines of "oh, that's not good." I smiled to be friendly and at the same time kind of gave her an "I'm sorry look" and she kept staring. I didn't know what to say because I guess I was caught off guard. She then went on to say there was another coworker who was nicer another time she came in. I wanted to show some empathy for the customer.

I know I over analyze everything but I feel like I should protect my coworker. I feel guilty and bad that I said "that's not good" because I feel like I am going against my coworker. I feel like I should have just apologized to the customer instead of giving a comment. Should I feel bad about this?

• Chanel
    Favorite Answer

You handled it very well. You were taken off guard and said the right thing.

Best to tell him and describe the customer.

It happened where I work and I told the guy that she was not being rude, it is just that she does everything quickly.

• RP

No, but you can learn from the experience. One way to deal with this is to acknowledge the person's disappointment and indicate this was not typical behavior from your co-worker, but you will let her/him know that s/he did not serve the customer's interest(s) well.

i wouldnt feel guilty about it and maybe you should tell your manager about it

• .

If this should ever happen again, just say "I'll certainly let my manager know about this." Chances are the customer would tell you not to bother doing that. Either way, instead of really telling the manager, just mention it to the coworker.

• g

Wth is an I'm sorry look and how is a friendly smile an appropriate response to a complaint? A more appropriate response to a customer would be: I'm sorry to hear that. Would you like to speak to a manager?

I would at least mention it to the coworker, otherwise it seems more like gossiping behind his back.

No, but next time get the manager to speak to the customer.

You reacted in the moment in a way that made sense to you. Your concern for the customer does not negate how you feel towards your co-worker. If your reaction has confused you, have a conversation with your co-worker. You may learn more about what happened. Also, remember the customer's perspective may not be your colleague's point of view and this is very common when we engage with other people.

• Kenny

It sounds to me like you handled it perfectly . You listened to the customer complaint and soothed the customer so that should stop it there .

• ?

Punch her in the throat.

Anybody who expects the general public to behave polite and courteous needs a harsh lesson.

No. Mention it to the co-worker. Tell him you just want to give him a heads-up and that you won't mention it to the boss or anyone else. He should appreciate your letting him know so he can be more careful in dealing with customers in the future.