Simon
Simon asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 3 years ago

Is the following sentence correctly written?

"XXX, wish you a joyful trip, don’t forget to bring an umbrella with you preventing from sunburn or shower in the afternoon."

I am an English learner, and your help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

XXX, I wish you a wonderful trip. Don't forget to bring an umbrella to protect you from sunburn and afternoon showers.

An umbrella cannot "prevent" a shower". An umbrella or sunshade can shade you from the sun when it gets too strong (but "prevent" is the wrong word).

I might say: "Maybe bring an umbrella in case there's a shower, or in case the sun is very strong."

It's almost correct but doesn't really sound natural for a native English speaker. I'd probably say something more like "X, I hope you have a great trip! Don't forget to bring an umbrella to protect you from the rain and so you don't get a sunburn."

• Kenny

XXX sometimes refers to pornography .

Source(s): So I am a prude .

d

It's fine. Just use small lower case "xxx" which is of course to be kisses. Or maybe you didn't do that. It is in a style closer to British English than to the US.