Does my wife need to pay her ex BF?

Wife got a text from her ex bf that she needs to pay her at least $30K for helping her out when they used to date. Per my wife, it was over 5 years ago when they broke up. She used to live with him, and he used to claim her as his dependent on his tax. She also mentioned that there is nothing in writing that it was a loan. She doesn’t even recall any financial help he provided to be amounting to that amount. I told her that normally, a loan needs to be in writing in order for him to go after her. She is pregnant, and I don’t want her worrying please advise.

19 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

Is the ex boyfriend retarded or what? Sounds like it.

• Kelly
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

If he sues her and wins a judgment she will need to.

Small claims court can go up to $25,000 in some states, but for most it's $5,000. If he paid specific debts for her, bought cars or anything like that, he can get a judgment. It would be up to her to prove that it wasn't a gift. Housing and things like that, the court is unlikely to give him anything.

In some states a verbal agreement for repayment for something is just as legally binding as a signed promissory note.

Even then, he's most likely trying to bluff her. Outside of small claims court he'd need an attorney and the attorney fees may be more than he'd recover even if he did get a judgment.

At this point, ignore him and tell him to go eff himself. As a smart maneuver though do not text specifics of any costs or talk about them over the phone.

• 3 years ago

Ignore him untill he gets a lawyer.

• 3 years ago

I'd guess he's down on his luck and looking for money. He doesn't have a leg to stand on.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Tara
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

It sounds like the ex did this because he wanted to do it … plus, he got some reimbursement on his taxes.

Have your wife tell him to put it all in writing … just to see what he claims.

If he puts it in writing -- it might not hurt to show it to an attorney for advice.

He may be trying to strong-arm her.

If she tells him to put it in writing -- tell her to not have any more contact with him until he provides it (and proof would be nice to have).

• 3 years ago

Unless he has it in writing he can't win in court. Sounds like he supported her if she allowed him to claim her.. so I guess he wants some of that money back.. but without a signed note agreeing that she would repay there is nothing he can do about it.

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

Nothing in writing, she doesn't owe him a dime. And HOW can he claim her as a dependent? She's not a child. He may be audited for tax fraud too.

I would ignore the text but save it just in case. She should not respond to him in any way.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

She needs a lawyer in case he sues her,i cannot see how she owes him anything.

• 3 years ago

She doesn't owe him anything. Tell her to block his number and never returned a text to him again.

• David
    Lv 6
    3 years ago

She has a lot more to worry about than the idiot she used to date. Ironically, his demanding money from her is the least of her worries.

No, she does not owe her boyfriend even a single penny. She can tell him to go f*ck himself, and there's nothing that he can do. If he tries to take this to court somehow, the judge will likely laugh his @ss off. And if the judge is not in a good mood that day, he might jail the ex boyfriend for contempt, for being so stupid to waste the court's time...

But there's more to this story that YOU are not aware of yet.

She lived with him.

He (legally) claimed her as a dependent on his tax returns.

Which means...

More than likely, the two of them are married (common law). Which means, she is guilty of bigamy, and your current marriage is not legal.

In most states, even though she would not owe money to her boyfriend (that is ridiculous, in the extreme!), the arrangement they have, by common law, would have made them LEGALLY MARRIED, as in husband and wife (not just boyfriend and girlfriend). If she wanted to break up with him, that would require a formal divorce procedure. If she didn't divorce him, then she was not free to marry you. If she DID marry you, then that is against the law. (bigamy)

Like I said, she should be worried. HUGELY worried. Just not about money.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.