Betul asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 3 years ago

Is it ok or weird to sign letters out to someone who’s deaf?

I really want to learn sign language but right now I only know the alphabet, is it weird to spell things out while having a convo with someone who’s deaf?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 years ago

Ask the person you wish to communicate with. It doesn't matter what we think.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

Unacceptable. If you want to converse, learn some basic ASL expressions and move your lips so that they can be read, just in case the person knows how to lip-read.

• Pontus
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

Yes, it's word.

Finger spelling is for conveying English words by spelling them, for things without signs (like your name), or as part of a sign (some signs are based off a letter or two. Only a few are entirely letters. Names of months are often only in finger spelling -although signs exist - either the first few letters or the entire month if it's short).

ASL (or any other sign language used in English speaking countries) is not English in signed form. It is a different language, with different grammar and some different vocabulary.

A deaf person will likely know English as well and understand your finger spelling, but most would likely find it tedious for a true conversation (and it will be a very long time before you can finger spell at a rate fast enough to suit a native ASL speaker).

A word or two, or your name, would be all right.

Definitely weird otherwise.

Source(s): very beginning ASL, worked in a school with some deaf students. I can do letters and numbers, and a small number of very basic signs. No true sentences.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.