Sarah asked in PetsDogs · 3 years ago

Is feeding your dog Beggin Strips for breakfast everyday okay?

There s a dog I know ( a cavalier king charles spaniel), that everyday she gets a bag of beggin strips for breakfast and for dinner she gets a small bag of chicken meat. She s a little thin but otherwise she seems healthy... But I just feel like beggin strips aren t even the healthiest treat to give much less give it to a dog as their meal. I couldn t find anything online explaining the health benefits/risks of using beggin strips as food instead of treats.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Ocimom
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

NO. The dog should be on high quality dog food. That's like eating junk food every day for breakfast. You may appear ok, but you are NOT healthy!

• 3 years ago

If you look at the ingredients on the bag you’ll see the treats are mostly corn.

So basically pup is getting corn on the cob for breakfast (dogs ant digest corn.) And chicken for dinner.

I have to ask... Where’s the vitamin C? D? E? Minerals? Carbs? Do you really think that going to be enough protein? How about fat?

Treats are good, BUT they can’t be your dogs only source of nutrition. Or do you think it would be acceptable for a child to eat cake and pie and nothing else?

• 3 years ago

No. That would be like you eating french fries for breakfast every day.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

Nope its out and out dumb.... Would you like to be offered only junk food to eat for your breakfast daily

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

NO. But since it's not your dog, "There s a dog I know" you should learn to mind your own business, and not feed someones dog, should something happen to the dog you will be liable for vet bills and replacement costs.

• 3 years ago

That’s definitely not healthy and considering the health conditions that Cavaliers are prone to developing I really recommend changing her diet! If your looking for a good treat try dried sweet potatoe strips they are healthy and good for the digestive system. For a good food I recommend talking to your vet or an employee at your local pet supply store they can help you figure out a good choice for her. Just make sure to measure the amount of food she gets based on the brands suggested amount for her weight as Cavaliers are prone to heart issues so make sure she gets plenty of exercise and stays fit!

• 3 years ago

The poor dog is thin, because it is NOT getting a BALANCED diet. It is being fed a LOUSY diet and may suffer any number of health problems, including weak bones, due to be fed what it is. You cannot feed the second meal as ..."ONLY a small bag of chicken meat", if there is no balanced source of calcium or phosphorus. The strips are ONLY a treat, the treat BAG clearly STATES it is never INTENDED to be used or to take the PLACE of a meal. The Beggin' strips are NOT nutritionally BALANCED, and are NOT, REPEAT NOT>>>>> a DOG FOOD.

2) Dogs have to get some balanced amount of calcium (or raw bone) to balance any meat they are fed. If this dog is not being fed some source of calcium and phosphorus and some source (in correct proportion to the entire AMOUNT OF FOOD CONSUMED) of vitamins and trace minerals, the dog isn't getting a good diet.

I went to the amazon.com website & read the enlarged back of the bag for the following information first the list of ingredients:

Ingredients

Pork, Barley, Oat Meal, Brewers Rice, Soybean Meal, Ground Whole Wheat, Glycerin, Sugar, Corn Gluten Meal, Wheat Flour, Wheat Gluten, Water, Ground Yellow Corn, Bacon, Soy Protein Concentrate, Salt, Phosphoric Acid, Natural Flavor, Sorbic Acid (A Preservative), Bacon Fat (Preserved with BHA And Citric Acid), Natural Smoke Flavor, Calcium Propionate (A Preservative), Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 1, Yellow 6. U-4005.

So you have at least 8 versions of GRAIN products -

Dogs are often allergric to one or more grain products and they are INFLAMMATORY. Grains also digest as sugars. You have TWO SOY products - which dogs DO NOT digest well AT ALL (and often get GAS from) PLUS two additional ADDED SUGARS: Glycerin and SUGAR itself. The dog needs NO SUGAR! (......Unless you WANT it to become DIABETIC.)

You have one of THE WORST preservatives: BHA (which has been shown to cause cancer in dogs) and to add further INSULT TO INJURY....you have multiple FOOD DYES (outlawed in many HUMAN foods) & which most reputable dog foods DO NOT use, any more. Only the human buyer, needs to "SEE" COLOR in the treat product. The owner could NOT have picked anything much WORSE to feed the dog, other than sawdust..... with arsenic added.

Beggin Strips Directions

Feeding Instructions:" Feed as a "treat" to your adult dog. This product is a treat and is NOT intended to be fed as a meal."

These are the PRODUCT'S OWN INSTRUCTIONS; it is NOT nutritionally complete "dog food" - the Strips were NEVER INTENDED to replace a MEAL!!!!!!!!!!

"Feed 1 treat for each 10 pounds of body weight, not to exceed 5 treats per day. The caloric intake from treats should not exceed 10% of a dog's total daily caloric requirement. If treats are given, the amount of food should be reduced accordingly. Monitor your dog to ensure treat is adequately chewed prior to swallowing. Break into small pieces for adult small/toy breed dogs."

I hope this anwsers ALL your questions.

• Murzy
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

the strips are treats and not a meal. they do not have the required nutrition that regular dog food has

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.