What should I do?

I really want to be a firefighter, and I have told my parents that, but they said I shouldn't because I'm a female. I hear of women firefighters all the time. I have always wanted to be a firefighter, Is it ok for me to pursue that dream? Even though my parents said "no"?

• Eddy
    Favorite Answer

Forgive me but you should not be confiding in your parents about a job that you have wanted since the beginning of time. They have their opinion which you are allowing to obstruct your progress in finding your dream job. So just stop confiding in them about this job. Just mount up and ride into the sunset and GET that JOB. You might consider drawing up a whole list of reasons why you want this job. Send it to your parents through the US Postal System. By the time they read your letter, you will be fitted out with your first uniform. Get going!!!

It's extremely physically demanding. You have to be in top shape.

For basic info on the jobs, go to O*Net, in the search field at the top right type in 'firefighter', there are several categories of that which come up, check which one you are most interested in. Both basic types pay $23 an hour, for $49k a year.

• D J

At some point you will be out living on your own. So work toward the goal of becoming a firefighter & perhaps a paramedic. Once you are grown & out on your own your parents can't stop you but they may disown you.

• Judy

yes it's ok. Fifty years ago you wouldn't have been allowed.

• Tavy

follow your dream we have many women firefighters in the UK. They are out of date.

Go for it

Of course it’s ok for you to live your life.

It is your dream, follow it. No doubt parents fear for you as that is a high risk job.

A very worthy profession though.

My parents would loved I became a marine, something I considered, but chose air force fighter pilot instead.

Suggestion, stay very healthy and fit.

• Gary

It's perfectly fine for you to become a firefighter. I have known women who were/are firefighters and perform better than male coworkers.

Once you are 18, you can pursue any career you want. And of course, once you are 18, your parents can kick you out of their house. You will need to weigh what you want to do with the consequences - if you can handle the consequences, go for it.