At what age can you change your first name permanently? Because I wanna change my name to Conner permanently.?

Favorite Answer

You can do it for yourself on or after your 18th birthday.

Just look up your local county court website followed by "adult name change". You should get the links to the paperwork you would need to file, as well as the procedure to follow.

It usually costs some weird amount, like $111.00, and you have to go to a court hearing to speak to the judge about why you want to change it. It's fine if you don't like the name your parents gave you, or you're transgender, but not if you're concealing a crime.

I would suggest that you think about the spelling. It's usually "Connor".

• Clive

When you're legally adult. Which normally means 18. Any younger and your parents have to do it for you.

Can be done at any age.

However if you are a minor, your parents file on your behalf.

18.

• Athena

18 in most states

Once you reach the age of adulthood you can do whatever you want to any of your names. But when you do, don't forget you'll have a lot of records you must update to show your new names. ANS.

Don't know what country you live in, but in the US you'd need to contact Social Security to register your new names with them. Then there'd be bank accounts you might have. Those would require changing the names. Insurance? Need to change them too. And car and house ownership papers would require changing. There are probably more things, but I haven't thought of them at the moment.

My point...changing your names is easy. But recording and registering them is no.

There is NO minimum age for a legal name change.

However, until you are a legal adult, YOU can't initiate any legal proceedings on your own behalf. Your parent or legal guardian would have to do so.

Note: There is NO SUCH THING as temporarily changing your name legally.

You must be an adult before you can change your name, so it is likely you will be able to change it from 18-onwards.

• Connor

Over 18 in the UK

• Murzy

18