Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsOther - Diseases · 3 years ago

Why are medical doctors so terrible at diagnosing and managing people with coeliac disease here in Australia?

I hardly ever have gone to see my doctor since I was diagnosed with coeliac disease 10 years ago. My health up until recently was perfect as long as I was GF.

Recently I booked an appointment with my doctor because I was having acid reflux and I couldn't work it out.

My doctor never questioned me on whether or not I was being contaminated with gluten and instead prescribed me a PPI. I did not take it!

Instead, I took it upon myself (after searching on the Internet and hearing others' suggestions) to figure out if any gluten was making its way into my food. It turns out that the puffed buckwheat my mum purchased for our homemade muesli I ate every day was contaminated with gluten. Mum had recently switched brands to try and save money but it backfired with the health issues I've had recently as a result. Needless to say, I went out and bought certified gluten free buckwheat puffs and within a couple of weeks all my symptoms were gone.

Why are medical doctors still so terrible at diagnosing and managing people with coeliac disease?

I immediately think less highly of young people who say they're studying medicine or planning to do so, especially if they can't give me a solid reason as to why they're studying medicine when I ask them.

• Andy C

It's very difficult to manage a patient who hasn't been in in a decade when you have hundreds and hundreds of patients.

Maybe you should have gone to the doctor annually, so they'd know your face, at least.

Was it even the same doctor?

I was hospitalized for 4 months, suffering from total liver and subsequent neural failure, and I switched hospitals 3 times, and with each switch a LOT was left out and dropped out of my chart.

Like being numb. And blind.

This was in the U.S. and I have stellar health insurance.

I think you're being unreasonable. You've managed your illness by eating gluten-free for a decade. Your doctor assumes--correctly--that you know how to eat and what not to eat. You present a new symptom and s/he prescribes a standard treatment for it instead of questioning whether after a decade of eating gluten-free, you (or your mother) has messed up and bought a product that contains gluten.

I suspect that if the doctor had suggested your gluten-free diet hasn't been gluten-free, you'd have doubted their ability for that instead, since you do know how to eat correctly.

Please apply the blame where it belongs, on the manufacturer of the GF product that isn't gluten-free.

• Mog

Doctors are useless the world over