How can I apply U.S. Citizenship for my parents?


I am a U.S. Citizen and I want to apply for my parents. I am currently 21 years old. My parents are from Bangladesh which makes me a Bangladeshi as well but since I was born in the U.S. I happen to be a U.S. Citizen. After around 1 month of my birth, my parents came to Japan and we have not been to the US since then. My passport is up to date and always renewed before the expiration date. I have heard that if I turn 21 years old I can apply for my parents as well, but will it require me to go to the U.S. or can I apply from Japan? Please do let me know if there is any information that I need to know.

Thank you!

9 Answers

  • 3 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    No. First, they don't get citizenship. When you petition for a relative, they only get an immigration visa to enter the US, IF approved. Only after they actually settle in US can they get their green card - legal permanent resident status. They have additional requirements, including living in US for a minimum of 5 years, before they might qualify to apply for citizenship.

    To file a petition for a relative, you must actually reside & work in the US, and have a home in the US for you, your dependents, and the person(s) you sponsor. Since you do not reside in US, you cannot petition for anyone. In fact, since you don't meet US residency requirements yourself, you don't even qualify to pass on US citizenship to your own child.

    You would have to return to US, find a job, and earn enough to support yourself, any dependents you may have, plus your parents. IF just you, mom & dad - a household of 3 - annual earnings must exceed $25,975. Attach current year paystubs & your last 3 years of income tax returns. Note: as a US citizen, you have been required to file US income tax returns every year since US taxes all income from all sources worldwide, regardless where you reside. You may also be subject to additional reporting requirements, including FBAR (now FinCEN form 114) to report all foreign bank & financial accounts, and/or Form 8938, report of all foreign assets. Failure to report these as required on time make you subject to draconian penalties, with fines starting about $50k, and/or prison terms.

    If you have not filed all tax returns & additional financial reporting as required, do NOT attempt to enter US yourself. You need to hire a tax attorney & tax accountant to sort you out first. IRS is specifically on the lookout for non-resident US citizens who have not been filing & paying US income taxes as required.

    IF you are all in good stead with IRS, then you will need to move to US, find a job, establish your home. Expect it could take a year or two before you might qualify to file for your parents.

  • 3 years ago

    You have to be resident in the US and meet various requirements to sponsor your parents.

  • RICK
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

    You must be living in the US (the only exception is US military members stationed overseas)

    You can not apply for US citizenship you can apply for a visa (the current wait for parental visas averages 17 years)

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

    You move to the US, work and earn enough to sponsor both parents and after 3 yrs of working, earning and paying taxes you can apply for a visa to sponsor your parents, that can take anything from 5-25 yrs before the visa is given if it is not denied, if it is given only then can you parents move to the USA and after a number of years they can pay and apply for citizenship it yes you have to move/live/work in the US and no you can't 'apply for citizenship for them'

  • 3 years ago

    You must be living in the USA and making at least $22,000 per year at a steady job for three years to sponsor them for immigration.

    Note that for > your < children to get US citizenship via descent you need to have lived in the USA for at least five years, two of which have to be after your 14th birthday.

  • 3 years ago

    You can't apply for citizenship for them.

    You can only sponsor them to get them into the U.S. legally, as non-citizen legal residents, and then they have to live in the U.S. for several years, before they (not you) can apply for citizenship for themselves.

  • Lisa A
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

    You can not. They must qualify, apply, and go through tbe process on their own.

  • 3 years ago

    That your parents have to do.

    You can sponsor them on visa, but that is not vetted citizen.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.