heyMare asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 3 years ago

Roast beef disasters!?

Do you cover or roast uncovered a beef roast?. No recipe I've seen specifies what to do.

Any roast I've made turns out tasteless and dry.

I've tried sirloin, rump, chuck etc. HELP.

What temperature and duration are you cooking it?

Are you salting/seasoning the meat before you put it in the oven?

Are you cooking it with other vegetables?

• denise

I'd do the same as 'Mog' would, not sure about the coffee though!

I usually use brisket or silverside and cook it covered low & slow.

• kswck2

Roast beef should be either a top round or an eye round. No need to cover it. And slice it Very thinly.

I usually have sirloin as inexpensive steaks, but for roasting, that one I’d do uncovered.

For rump or chuck roasts I’d do pot roasts, which are typically covered.

This has to do with the tenderness of the cut of meat, how much fat it has and whether that cut of meat will be best cooked wet or dry.

Sirlion is much more tender than rump or chuck and is fine to dry roast. The other two need long moist cooking to be tender.

I’m not sure where you are getting your recipes, all the ones I’ve ever seen WILL specify the type of cookware to use and whether or not to cover it.

Rub a roast with mace. If they are gray and dry you are overcooking them. Perhaps get a digital instant-read thermometer (maybe $10) and stop cooking when internal temperature reaches 135 or 140.

You are cooking it too long and perhaps too high of a temperature.

Try 'Silverside',and slow roast it.

At what temperature and for how long do you cook it? What is the internal temperature when you remove it?

Sirloin, rump and chuck need to be roasted in liquid, covered. They are the less-tender cuts. I did a chuck roast a few weeks ago and it came out perfect.

• Mog

Covered. Add water to the kettle. About a half an inch. Flavor the water with a little au jus gravy mix, garlic, onions, salt, pepper, a drop or two of Kitchen Bouquet, and a pinch of instant coffee.