Can dropping a glass jar of store bought pasta sauce cause the lid to pop open?

Someone was helping me bring in groceries and there were two glass jars of pasta sauce in one bag. They dropped that one bag and when I took the jars out on one of them, the button thing that pops when you open a jar, was popped up and the lid was then open but the other jar was still closed.

I was wondering if just from simply dropping a jar can that make the lid open even if you really have to have a lot of strength in your hand turning it cause they're on so tight? They dropped on a gravel driveway.

• Joe

Seems I remember something like that happen to me, years ago. (I always check the "button" in the store; it was open when I got home.)

Nothing else about the jar or product was funny; I just put it in the fridge and used it first.

• D J

If it breaks the seal yes.

• Mark

It sure can! I'd get new new one, courtesy of the store.

Yes, it could happen. The glass screw-on top may have broken under the cap, and the seal was destroyed.

It can happen.