Electrical fault in my home help!?

I tried to change a ceiling light in my home after a bulb got stuck, expecting there to be just a red and black But there were actually 14 wires behind the old light! 4 reds, 4 black, 2. Blue, 2 brown, 1 yellow 1 grey and loads of bare wire twisted togeather! The new light just needs a possitive and negative, so I... show more I tried to change a ceiling light in my home after a bulb got stuck, expecting there to be just a red and black
But there were actually 14 wires behind the old light!
4 reds, 4 black, 2. Blue, 2 brown, 1 yellow 1 grey and loads of bare wire twisted togeather! The new light just needs a possitive and negative, so I put all the reds in one pole and all the blacks in the other and cut away the rest as they wouldnt fit in the light, when I turned the fuseboard on, one the fuses exploded! And one next to it melted, and none of the lights came on either, I think the previous owner had the cowboys in tbh the fuse always looked dodgy to me, ive temporarily fitted a peice of copper pipe to bridge the fuse poles and managed to get my sons room and staircase light back.on allthough the do flicker alot, rest of house is still in darkness! Luckiky we hace a gas fire downstairs witch gives a bit of light but, we need to sort it asap any advice appreciated