Annie asked in SportsHorse Racing · 3 years ago

Why is it that in Horse Racing, Horses are forced to do all of the work while only humans benefit? Isn't this Slavery? Why do we support it?

It really disgusts me when I read about Innocent Animals tortured and killed in laboratories, by Violent Poachers/"hunters", on food farms.

Naturally I would be opposed to any sport where Non Human Animals are used as tools such as Rodeos and Horse Racing.

Horse Racing is essentially slavery, these poor Animals do all of the work, get hurt while only the rich benefit. They should be free to roam in the wild and protected from anyone trying to hurt them or use them.

Not to mention that only the rich benefit from these horse races. What do you think?

No, the horses are not doing all the work, people must be involved in racing for it to succeed. I agree that TBs are started too young. They should not tart them racing until they are 3 yrs old, then they could run for the triple crown at age 5.

Horse racing isn't slavery, Annie. Come on, grow up some and use your head about this. It's what God gave it to you for. As for why people support racing, that's obvious. It's because it's both a sport AND a MULTI BILLION dollar INDUSTRY, one which employs MILLIONS of people nationally and globally. In countries where racing exists, a big segment of the national ECONOMY is tied to the sport and the breeding industry which supports it. It's something that's here to stay, Annie. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.

As for why the horses run, they do this because they're bred and trained for it, and they love it. There's no way a 100 pound person ( which is what most jockeys weigh) could possibly force an animal that weighs close to half a TON to do anything that the animal doesn't want to do. Life doesn't work that way, as I'm sure you must realize. And people who work with and around racehorses aren't MONSTERS, Annie. Believe me when I say that NO ONE who's involved with this sport gets any thrill whatsoever from watching horses they have cared for and love get hurt or break down and die. I've seen grown men break down and start sobbing on national TV because a horse they loved had to be put down because of an accident. There are times at the track, Annie, when the laughter and cheering stop. There are also times when a song or a whistle turns into a scream or a desperate cry for help. But that's part and parcel of the sport and of life. If you're not prepared to deal with the reality that horses are basically fragile creatures with relatively short lifespans, then you shouldn't attempt to watch racing or have any part of it. Tragedy is part of life, just as joy is.

As for the issue of animal testing, I think I need to remind you that if it weren't for LEGITIMATE medical research involving animals, human beings ( including YOU) wouldn't be able to LIVE on planet Earth. PERIOD. Because WE aren't the ONLY ones who benefit from medical research on animals. The animals THEMSELVES ALSO benefit. Some of the most important advances in VETERINARY medicine have come about because of research that was done on animals which were kept or bred for that purpose. And there is a HUGE DIFFERENCE, Annie, between LEGITIMATE research involving animals ( which is largely funded by the federal government and major universities) and the so called "animal testing" which some of the cosmetics companies engage in. I CAN'T STAND the latter EITHER, because I know that it's NOT SCIENCE. Paying some uneducated jackass to spray hair spray in a rabbit's eyes and then watch to see what happens ISN'T SCIENCE, Annie- it's CRUELTY, pure and simple, and I will always oppose it. But legitimate research, which has saved many lives and will continue to do so, is something that I agree with. Cruelty of any kind is an ANATHEMA to most legitimate scientists. These people are required by federal and in many cases state law to treat their animals humanely, and provide them with prompt, correct care at all times. Failure to comply with said laws can result in loss of funding and a long list of civil and criminal penalties for the scientists involved. I grew up near a major university in the Midwest, and I personally have seen cases where people have lost their jobs because they didn't comply with federal rules concerning the care and treatment of lab animals. I've also heard about people who've gone to PRISON for the same reason. So it's not as if there is no protection available for lab animals. That's simply not true.

• JSC

Have you even seen the size of a race horse.. they would not stand for cruelty. They are treated like royalty and wouldn't have it any other way. They love to race! Fact: Race horses have a better life than the poor homeless veterans living on the streets. Horse racing is a multi billion dollar industry that employees millions upon millions of people, the jobs are endless, so why not support it. There would be unthinkable consequences if horse racing were to be banned. Let's face it, though there's no doubt some jerks in the industry, I would not worry they get there's. It's really a bad idea to judge the entire racing industry by these people. Bottom line a few jerks should not tarnish the entire industry. Those who don't follow the rules or abuse are without a doubt called out and banned. Things have changed drastically over the last 15 years so what your suggesting is not tolerated. Educate. Race horses are carefully bred to develop faster than your average pleasure horse or show jumper. They also have much shorter careers. I just read about the rise in dog fighting, especially pit bulls. That is what I call abuse/slavery. It is illegal, no laws, no rules, deadly blatant abuse. Now that for sure is something we all can live without.

You can always tell the former horse players who were BIG LOSERS !

• Will

If horses had the brains to complain or revolt, then it would have happened by now.

• Tim

Those poor horses. Nobody to clean out their stalls or to bring them food and water. Nobody to train them or groom them.

i think youre right but i dont see how you could stop them

• Eva

Sure - turn all animals loose to fend for themselves and starve to death. If you doubt this, research what's happening to the mustang out west. While I would agree that horses are raced too young, you have no idea how many people's families depend on the jobs created by the industry.

when horses are at the top of the food chain, things will change