Is it normal for neighbours to keep to themselves nowdays?

i live in a small block of flats and most of my neighbours keep to themselves and i never see them from one month to the next? there is a neighbour above me called pete, who has drink problems and sometimes hear him playing music above me, he has the radio on loud....but otherwise, i hear and see nothing from... show more i live in a small block of flats and most of my neighbours keep to themselves and i never see them from one month to the next?
there is a neighbour above me called pete, who has drink problems and sometimes hear him playing music above me, he has the radio on loud....but otherwise, i hear and see nothing from him...same with the other neighbours.

im a 40 year old man, ive lived in this flat 13 years, and i keep myself to myself too....but i have no support structure, have mental problems i deal with and get very lonely at times..

do we live in times where neighbours no longer talk to each other or get involved with the other neighbour? an age of suspicion and neighbours who don't really know one another?
Update: thanks to all the other great interesting answers on this, i was fascinated to hear.