So, McD is replacing cashiers with kiosks at a quick pace and plans to accelerate the process. Who woulda thunk that would happen?

Gee. If only someone had predicted that this might happen if they were forced to pay higher wages for minimum wage help.

If only there was a group of people who understood basic math and basic economics.

Oh well. It was impossible to predict....right?

Favorite Answer

many will say "it was inevitable" or "the evil rich were going to replace workers with machines anyway"..... but notice how few consider WHY or what, in fact, made the change "inevitable".....

fact is, this technology existed over a decade ago.... I was in a McD in France in 2007 or 2008 with no counter or registers.... customers walked in, ordered at one of three or four kiosks spread around the seating area, then took a seat until their number was called by the lone worker at a window.

similarly, look at automated car washes.... they too existed for years..... yet four car washes in my area have all gone automated in the last two years, a direct result of mandated wage increases...

my local car was was an institution that employed dozens of teens every summer, as of earlier this year, they now employ 3.... the GM, who himself started as a "wipe down boy" many summers ago, told me the decision was 100% related to wages....

This was a natural options. Next to come is the automatic sandwich maker. There are some fast food outlets that have them in place.

No longer would a fast food owner be required to listen to my baby is sick, I will not be able to come today. I have a cold, I have out of town guest.

No more complaining about the work or wages in the work place.

I hope this has been of some benefit to you, good luck.

"FIGHT ON"

But when McD had cashiers, after the cashiers would ring your order, then they would go and get all of the items which you ordered and put them on your tray. Now the customers enter their orders into a kiosk instead of a cashier ringing them up. Maybe a computer is taking the order instead of a cashier ringing it up but someone still has to put the order together on a tray for you. Someone has to get the sandwich, the fries and the drinking cup. So there is still a person employed. They are just not ringing up your order. Some McD's even have a server bring your order to you when you sit down.

• 2 years agoReport

One less cashier one less person to pay.

Me. It was only a matter of time and changes in cost. This is more of a reboot of the old self service automats. I loved going to Horn and Hardart with my dad when I was a kid. Putting your coins in, opening the little door, and pulling out a sandwich or a piece of pie seemed wonderful at the time.

• Back when I did my 8th grade DC trip, there was one of those there. I was young so don't remember where it really was, but it was cool.

Actually, this shows the exact opposite of what you think it does. The reality is that minimum wage is still very low. What you're seeing is that these companies are looking to automate without the pressure of high minimum wages. This means that your proposed plan, where we keep wages low in order to Stave off automation, is a failure.

Liberals should read and memorize your question and posting.

• M.
      2 years agoReport

You mean having a competent crew to run the restaurant isn't enough? They need to buy and operate order taking kiosks in addition? I don't think so. Order takers will lose their jobs! Duh!!

People did predict it. Its called automation and innovation. Whats the problem?

• Jo5

Liberals are incapable of seeing past the here and now

• M.
      2 years agoReport

Jo5 isn't making a joke, like you are.

Labor has always been the enemy of the bottom line, no matter what the cost. Any businessman will tell you that.

It has nothing to do with the movement to raise the minimum wage.

@comment: The search for automation didn't start with the movement to raise the minimum wage, retard. It's been going on for decades.

humans are slowly being replaced by automated machines.