Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 2 years ago

What should I expect going into an advanced hip hop choreography class?

I have never taken a choreography class in my life but I feel like I could learn on an advanced level. I dance exceptionally well considering I've never taken a class before. I would always watch videos of my favorite choreographers and learn their choreography just by watching them over and over. I think I could handle it but I might be in way over my head.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 years ago

Hello

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 years ago

While it depends on what they are calling advanced, most advanced classes would expect you to pick up the choreography almost immediately. If you don’t know the names of dance steps because you have never taken a dance technique class you will be lost. Expect the dancers in the advanced class to have years of dance training. It’s not just picking up the steps quickly it is also having years of strong dance technique training.

I truly think this would be a waste of your money if this really is an advanced class. It is also not likely they would allow you in this class as you are really a beginner and would slow the entire class down.

I suggest you take a beginner class and see how that goes. If you are too good for that class they will let you go to a higher level. Even if you are a natural in dance you have no class training experience. You won’t be able to watch the steps over and over again like you do when you watch a video. You would be expected to pick up the steps very quickly as they are being shown to you in class in an advanced class. It’s not just picking up the steps quickly that matters it is executing them with proper dance technique. As you have had no technique training at all, an advanced class is a poor idea. Even if the class isn’t all that advanced you are still a beginner. A beginners class would break everything down so you would learn properly. .

* Note: You may often find advance dancers in other dance genres in a beginner hip hop classes due to the fact that they have not worked in that particular dance genre. They will be better equipped than you in a beginners class and even they won’t start with an advanced hip hop class.

Source(s): My daughter is a professional concert contemporary dancer & choreographer. Ballet academy trained. Dance grad of LaGuardia Arts high school (the FAME school.) Graham & Horton modern trained. Juilliard SI. BFA in dance from NYU Tisch. Currently choreographing major music videos and performing in a world renown concert contemporary company. I worked for NYCB (New York City Ballet.)
  • 2 years ago

Since you have never taken a class, I would NOT start on the advanced level. It's not just about the moves, but how fast you can pick them up and duplicate it, correctly. Learning choreography and doing freestyle are completely different. You have to be able to hit the accents on the beat, if you are close enough to a move that you copy from a video it's ok, in a class if you are off on a move you would stand out from the rest of the class and then it wouldn't look as good. If they have a beginner or intermediate level I would try one of those classes first. This will let you know if you were correct and could handle an advanced class or if you can't handle an advance class.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.