I have some programming experience but how do I go about creating apps that can go on the Android and Apple app store? Thanks in advance!?

Favorite Answer

One approach is to use the official development kits (Android Studio for Android; or X-code for iOS) and read the docs, working through a few examples to get a feel for what the different pieces of the puzzle are and how they fit together.

Another is to use a multiplatform tool that supports both Android and iOS. A year or two ago, there was a regular answerer here that suggested Marmalade for every mobile app. Visual Studio also has the ability to compile for both Android and iOS targets.

One disadvantage of the multiplatform approach is that you typically don't get access to everything that the platform supports. Another is that developer docs will assume you're using the official tools.

The big advantage is not having to develop two copies of every app; and support two different development environments. (Apple only supports development on Apple hardware; but if you're a Mac or MacBook user then this might not be an issue.)

Either way, I suggest getting a book that takes you through the complete app development process for each tool you choose.

• joe

You learn what it takes to create apps for apple and android devices... Google it!

• Chris

The most important piece of knowledge I can give is: learn how to use Google to find out shît on your own.

Have you created anything app-like yet? Have you experience with Java or Swift? If not, it's not going to be fun.

• ronni2 years agoReport

I have created games in various programming environments, but mostly in JavaScript. I created some apps in the code.org app lab, but it only takes you to an online link that can then be downloaded on phones or other devices. I'm not opposed to learning new languages if necessary

Download Android Studio. It uses Java and is very similar EXCEPT linking GUI items to variables in the class. It's a little bizarre at first but essentially it's

Button button = findViewById(R.id.button_id);

button.setOnClickListener(new View.OnClickListener() {

public void onClick(View v) {

// Code here executes on main thread after user presses button

}

});

kinda sucks you have to do the R.id stuff for EVERY item. I've heard there's a way to add something so you don't have to but never looked into it. Happy coding!