Why do people go ballistic when encountering ideas they disagree with?

I checked out Monster by Frank E. Peretti. It was recommended by my library's computer. You give the book you read a letter grade and it generates a list of "Other books you might enjoy". The book is about an introverted housewife who is on a survival weekend with her cop husband and gets kidnapped... show more I checked out Monster by Frank E. Peretti. It was recommended by my library's computer. You give the book you read a letter grade and it generates a list of "Other books you might enjoy".

The book is about an introverted housewife who is on a survival weekend with her cop husband and gets kidnapped by a family of Bigfoots (Bigfeet?)

There is the suggestion that the couple are devout Christians, although it also might have been a no atheists in foxholes moment.

Then the subplot gets going. One of the couple's friend is a biologist who is also a creationist.

All in all it was a good book. I believe in evolution, but the plot kept going. I'm not at all religious but it was a good book.

When I went to rate it on Goodreads. A lot people really were upset with the religious tone of the book. Several people were mad they weren't warned about those tones.

As a way of comparison Bram Stoker's Dracula makes more pronounced and frequent religious overtones.

One reviewer ranted that the Christian themes "ruined a great book"

I was surprised by those types of comments. It was still a great story.

Have we become so polarized that can't even read a fiction book with a perspective we might not share?

I will look for other works by the same author because he weaves a gripping, suspenseful plot that keeps you guessing until the end.