Rosé asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 2 years ago

I dance with too much power and it makes my dance looks messy?

I’ve been dancing modern dance for a pretty long time. I’ve just started learning hip hop and my hip hop dance teacher always told me i put too much power on some movements where there shouldn’t be too much power. And sometimes i cant differenciate which movements need more power and which don’t. Help pleasee my dance movements sometimes look messy especially my footwork and it decreased my confidence in dancing.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago

Dance from your soul not from your muscles

• Reba
    Lv 6
    2 years ago

Sounds like you need to work on control, if you control the movements more they will not look messy. Slow everything down, break it down into segments and work on controlling each movement.

• 2 years ago

Don't know what Modern you've been learning but I know with the syllabus I work with there is a lot of 'release' work within it and as such you learn strength and release within Modern which you should be able to apply to this current class.

• 2 years ago

I would ask your teacher, next class, if she can help you figure out which moves need power and which don't. Tell her you are confused and would like some clarification, so you can progress as a hip hop dancer. Footwork takes a little time to get right and I bet once you have the moves down it will look less messy.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

Dig your dance partner out of the wall, and ask her if you are too forceful at times.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.