Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 2 years ago

How can I become an Airmen or an Officer for the Air Force?

Hey,

Recently I've been getting interested in the Air Force and what I can personally offer as well as gain from joining. I'm 17 and it's something I should start considering as I'm going to be a rising senior this year. However, I've noticed that there's a criteria in which you can get scholarships for having a certain GPA or SAT score. Unfortunately, this year has been probably the worst year I've had to deal with due to very personal things that have occurred.

I do want to join the Air Force though, especially as an officer and an eventual candidate to become a pilot, but I'm not sure as to where I should start, or where to search. Is this a goal too far up for me to even reach, considering the logistics of my grades and test scores?

What should I do, from this point, if I have the remote chance of doing so, to becoming an officer and an eventual airmen?

Cheers.

xx

Scholarship for Air Force ROTC

• Jason
    Favorite Answer

There are three paths to becoming an officer: USAFA, AFROTC, and OCS.

If your GPA, SAT scores, and extracurriculars aren't exceptional then the Academy is out. That is the most competitive, most difficult path to getting a commission. You need stats comparable for admission to Ivy League schools.

AFROTC is your next best bet. Anyone can do the first two years; they're just electives. Do well there, maintain an acceptable GPA, etc, and you can be contracted for the second two years. To get a commission you MUST be contracted for the upper division program. If you're otherwise competitive, you can apply for the ROTC scholarship as well.

OCS is the last place the USAF gets officers. There are more rated boards than in years past so it's easier than it has ever been, but that is still the very last place pilots come from. Getting to OCS does not guarantee a commission much less a slot to pilot school.

To become a pilot you first need a bachelor's degree and a commission as an officer. You then apply to Undergraduate Pilot Training (UPT). Getting a slot to UPT is very competitive and is based on your PCSM score. That is calculated from your AFOQT score, TBAS score, and your number of flight hours. The AFOQT is a general aptitude test for commissioning while the TBAS is specific to aviation aptitude. You need at least a 50 on the Pilot-Nav line. Those three are combined and you get a rating from 1-99. The USAF considers that test-sensitive information and they do not publish how that rating is calculated.

Getting a slot to UPT is highly competitive. Most candidates score very well on the two tests (in no small part because the majority have a STEM degree). The thing that separates pilot candidates is the number of flight hours. That's huge. There is very little that separates candidates from one another. If you have 100 more hours than the next person in line, you're going to have a much better rating. If you have no flight hours your chances of being selected drop drastically. You can start clocking hours as young as 16. If you really want to be a pilot, find a flight school near you and get going. There is no substitute for time spent in a cockpit flying something.

Becoming an Airman is easy: All you have to do is enlist. "Airman" is the term for any member of the USAF regardless of gender or AFSC.

.

Source(s): Former USAF flight medic and training manager
    • Daniel
      2 years agoReport

I never heard about anyone stressing about the TBAS or AFOQT at USAFA. Plus, everyone in my class that was PQ got a pilot slot. It wasn't just the top 25%; people in the '2.0 and go' club got cockpits.

Air Force Academy is where most AF pilots come from.

KNOW YOUR COMPETITION: http://www.usafa.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Artic...

You will have to have similar or better qualifications in order to get an academy appointment.

US Senators from get to make "recommendations" for admission to the military acadamies. Ask your community leaders (teachers, lawyers, politicians, law enforcement, ministers, etc, etc), for letters of recommendation from them, to your state's Senators recommending you for academy admission. Submit the letters in a packet from you to your Senators, requesting their nomination to the academy.

All the acadamies like to get cadets who participated in team sports because it indicates competiveness. That is especially true for aports team captains. Community service activities also help.

If you are goint to apply to the academy keep in mind that your application must be submitted BEFORE you begin your senior year in HS.

Good Luck.

.

GB

Major, Squadron Commander, 42nd Bomb Wing, 2nd Air Force, Strategic Air Command (SAC), US Air Force, 1960-74

In order to be an officer you have to have a college degree so my suggestion is that you join as enlisted work your way up and get your degree while in service and then transfer to officer status

All officers have a bachelors degree. You would have to go in as enlisted. If you do good, take some night classes and get good grades they may consider sending you to OTS. If not, after four years you can get out and use your GI BILL to get a degree, then try to get back in as an officer.

You can't join as an officer right after high school. To join as an officer, you have to go to college first. If you join right after high school, then you join as an enlisted airman, which means you'll probably be doing work on the ground, such as maintenance, cooking, paperwork, etc., although you might get to fly in the back of the plane as a loadmaster or something like that.

you must have a college degree to be an officer

so go to college

• Daniel

Find a college with AFROTC and take the freshman courses. You can try for 2 and 3 year scholarships later if your college grades are good. Or, you can just find other ways to pay for it. Your odds of getting a commission and especially a pilot slot are better with ROTC than trying for OTS later on.

• Daniel
      2 years agoReport

Apparently they don't have 2 year scholarships anymore. I'm not positive about how the 3 year scholarships work. Contact AFROTC for more info.

• You should get a college degree. They will take you if you have a relevant degree. Go to your recruiter's office and ask what degrees they will like the best in four years. But do not ask them to pay for it, just ask them which ones are the most valuable. Then get that degree. Then they will take you because they didn't have to pay for it. Also to get you, they will listen to what you want to do and try to accommodate your wishes.

Step 1: Join up