is there any known possible issues with the saab 900 turb and at what milage do they tend to pop up?

• 1 year ago

THAT car is superb in many ways! They WEAKNESSES are in the TRANNY if it is the older BORG WARNER pne! The ENGINE must NEVER use VALVOLINE but only oil marked 502/505 THIS EANS MOBIL ONE 0W40 and TOTAL ENERGY OIL< AMSOIL and PENNZOIL EURO oil that gives a 500K WARRANTY. The OLDER brakes were GOD AWFUL but later 900 cars use ATE GIRLING brakes that are GREAT and last the life of the car whit pad changes! The TRANS on later ones comes from the ZF company and there will ALWAYS be junk yards that have parts SOMEWHERE! They are WORTH MONEY!I WAS a SAAB technician and I learned a LOT from them! The OTHER vulnerability is the CRANK VENT SYSTEM! There is a repair kit for it if WRONG OIL weakened it much for about $45 !! KEEP THE THROTTLE BODY and the IDLE AIR CONTROL valve as clean as possible Always. The ENGINE uses OIL PRESSURE to keep it TIGHT! It is a CHAIN and not belt. YOU should ALWAYS keep things immaculately clean! POWER WASH the engine and remove any twigs and debris from the radiator and other things! EXPECT at LEAST 500k miles with the use of PENNZOIL ULTRA EURO oil! do a MOTOR FLUSHING to remove YEARS of rankled in crud and TAR and COKE and SLUDGE ! I use a fifty fifty mixture of AMSOIL POWER FOAM and GUNK engine cleaner original! It WIL remove all the crusty crap1 It WIL clean the piston tops and rings and the OIL SPRAY JETS inside the engine!

• 1 year ago

Any car will have issues at that age. But the 900 was a fantastic car. They were built like tanks. They were quite well known for wearing like iron. I had a 1984 Turbo and bought it with close to 200k miles on it. I didn't expect much but ended up driving it for another 150k miles. I only sold it after the fuel pump went and then bought a 9-5 wagon. In my line of work I really need a wagon. The 900 hatchback managed to do but it just didn't have enough cargo space.

A 15 year old car is going to have issues.

Thousands.

From day one.

Saab has folded. Do NOT buy one.

No