Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 2 years ago

Should it infuriate me the way it does when people try and push my shoping cart for me at the store the way it does ?

I am 22 and i got into a pretty bad car crash last week. I have a cast on my arm and a couple cuts on my head are still healing. I know the people are well intentioned but its not like i am incompetent and can't push the cart on my own.

• Favorite Answer

It is understandable that it infuriates you. Besides that, do hope you heal fast.

The thing is, if no one offered help, might you think: can't you see I am in a bad way? Where is the compassion? I would be surprised if you would not think that way.

It is called survival. Very few of us, like the idea of being handicapped and so, will fight off that label. But on the other side of things, the looker ones, think: that poor girl; I am sure she would love some help.

You might to saying that you really appreciate their thoughtfulness, but really you are ok.

It shouldn't infuriate you people are trying to be helpful to you and that's a good intention simply tell them thank you very much but I need the exercise! To get myself back into shape thank you so much.

It's a feeling. There is no should or shouldn't... it's just feelings.

What you're probably angry at is the crash itself, and the fact that it's made daily tasks more difficult that you wish could go back to being easy, or something like that. But it is not so easy to be angry at some intangible issue so you focus it on tangible representatives of the problem.

The people are not actually doing anything wrong offering to help. And you're not doing wrong by feeling frustrated about your situation.

Just try not to take out your anger on them-- if they ask, just be polite and tell them, 'No, I want to do it myself. Thanks."

Allow yourself to feel the anger without judgement, but try not to wallow in it and remember what you're really angry about.

• Hope!

be GLAD that there are kind, well intentioned people in this world.

Why not be thankful that there's still people willing to help. I don't think they look at you as being incompetent, it's an simple act of kindness. The blessing is you survived the accident.

They should ask first and not assume. Just say "thank you, I've got it."

• Cogito

No. To become 'infuriated' when some well-meaning person tries to do you a kindness is a sign of an extremely unpleasant personality or even mental illness.

If someone offers, all you have to do is say, "That's really kind of you but I can manage, thank you."

• Dave D

People are trying to be kind. Your best response should be "Thank you but that is not necessary."

No it shouldn't infuriate you. Rather you should be pleased if people offer you kindness.

There are plenty enough people who will do the reverse, as you can see, even on here.

Ohhh you poor dear! What a miserable existence you have! Those poor children starving and bleeding out of their eyeballs in Africa have it soooo much better than you. How will you ever survive?

Yes, it should infuriate you.